Muamar family detention incident
The Muamar family detention incident occurred very early on the morning of June 24, 2006, in the first taking of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip by Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) since the Israeli evacuation of Gaza one year earlier, when IDF soldiers entered the house of the Muamar family in a village near Rafah, at 03:30 local time (00:30 GMT) and detained Osama and Mustafa Muamar. The BBC reports the village name as Umm al-Nasser
Ali Muamar, father of the two men detained, Osama Muamar and Mustafa Muamar, stated "They blindfolded and handcuffed me and started beating me up with the butts of their rifles and kicking me." He stated that a computer was taken and that the whole incident lasted for about an hour.
An Israeli spokesman confirmed the detentions, said that both men were members of the militant group Hamas intending to carry out imminent attacks on Israel and stated "These Palestinians were transferred to Israel where they will be questioned". A spokesman for Hamas confirmed that the brothers were sons of a member but denied that the men detained were involved in Hamas.
This is claimed by Noam Chomsky to be the first incident in the 2006 Israel-Gaza conflict and the following 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict. Chomsky has asserted that the arrest of the Muamar brothers was virtually ignored in the major media, in contrast to the capture of Gilad Shalit.
- "World in brief : Gaza Strip arrests". The Observer. June 25, 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-01.
- "Israel captures pair in Gaza raid". BBC. 24 June 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-01.
- "Israeli troops arrest two in Gaza raid". Al Jazeera. 24 June 2006. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Chomsky, Noam (July 29, 2006). "Confrontation with Hamas and Hezbollah". ZNet. Retrieved 2006-08-01.
- Chomsky, Noam (January 19, 2009). ""Exterminate all the Brutes": Gaza 2009 *". chomsky.info.
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|