Suez Canal Bridge
|Suez Canal Bridge|
|Locale||El Qantara, Egypt|
|Maintained by||General Authority for Roads, Bridges & Transport, Ministry of Transport and Communication|
|Design||Cable-stayed bridge semi-fan arrangement, H-pylon, hollow box|
|Material||steel and reinforced concrete|
|Total length||3.9 kilometres (2.4 mi)|
|Width||10 metres (33 ft)|
|Height||pylons: 154 metres (505 ft)|
|Longest span||404 metres (1,325 ft)|
|Clearance below||70 metres (230 ft)|
|Constructed by||Consortium consisting of: |
The Suez Canal Bridge, also known as the Shohada 25 January Bridge or the Egyptian-Japanese Friendship Bridge, is a road bridge crossing the Suez Canal at El Qantara. The Arabic "al qantara" means "the bridge". The bridge links the continents of Africa and Eurasia.
Design and construction
The Japanese grant, accounting for 60% of the construction cost (or 13.5 billion yen), was agreed to during the visit of then-President Mubarak to Japan in March 1995, as part of a larger project to develop the Sinai Peninsula. Egypt bore the remaining 40% (9 billion yen). The bridge opened in October 2001.
The bridge, which has a 70-metre (230 ft) clearance over the canal and is 3.9 kilometres (2.4 mi) long, consists of a 400-metre (1,300 ft) cable-stayed main span and two 1.8-kilometre (1.1 mi) long approach spans.
The height of the two main pylons supporting the main span is 154 metres (505 ft) each. The towers were designed in the shape of Pharaonic obelisks.
Significant developments in the region
The Suez Canal Bridge was part of a major drive to develop the areas surrounding the Suez Canal, including other projects such as the Ahmed Hamdi Tunnel under the Suez Canal (completed in 1981), the El Ferdan Railway Bridge, and the Suez Canal overhead powerline crossing.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Suez Canal Bridge.|
- Embassy of Japan in Egypt: Economic Cooperation ( Official Development Assistance, ODA )
- Planning, design and construction aspects of the Suez Canal cable stayed bridge
|This article about a bridge in Egypt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|