|Elevation||4,400 ft (1,340 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimated)|
Mubende is a town in Central Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Mubende District and is the location of the district headquarters. Mubende is the sister city of Tumwater, Washington, USA.
Mubende is located approximately 172 kilometres (107 mi), by road, west of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in the country. The coordinates of the town are:0°33'27.0"N, 31°23'42.0"E (Latitude:0.5575; Longitude:31.3950).
Mubende is home to the Nakayima Shrine, said to hold the spirit of Ndahura, a former Bacwezi king. The site, located about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) outside of the central business district of the town, is marked by Nakayima tree, at the base of which lie large root buttresses, forming nooks and fissures.
The shrine is located on top of Mubende Hill, that rises 213 metres (699 ft) above the surrounding terrain, to a peak level of 1,560 metres (5,120 ft) above sea level. The hill has a flat table-like top where an ancient palace once stood. The top of Mubende Hill provides an excellent view of Mubende town and the surrounding area. The shrine is visited by the people paying homage to the matriarch Nakayima of the Bachwezi, believed to be semi-gods, whose dynasty ruled this region in the period prior to 1,300 AD.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of the town of Mubende to be about 16,000. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 21,400. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Mubende at 22,200.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or near its edges:
- The headquarters of Mubende District Administration
- The offices of Mubende Town Council
- Mubende Regional Referral Hospital - A regional referral hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Mubende Central Market
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Frontpage Microfinance, a Tier IV Financial Institution
- A branch of National Social Security Fund
- Uganda Military Academy - Located at Kabamba, approximately 53 kilometres (33 mi), by road, southwest of downtown Mubende
- The headquarters of the Tiger Batallion of the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF) - Located in the western part of the town
- Lake Wamala - A portion of the lake is located in Mubende District
- The source of River Muzizi - Lies in the hills northwest of the town. The river flows in a northwesterly direction to empty into Lake Albert.
- The Mubende Campus of Muteesa I Royal University
- "Distance Between Kampala And Mubende With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Location of Mubende At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Profile of Mubende Town". Uganda Travel Bureau. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Mubende In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Businge, Gerald (13 June 2007). "Profile of Frontpage Microfinance Limited". Ugpulse.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Mubende and Kabamba with Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.