|Launched||September 4, 2003|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||The best music videos of all time, all the time.|
|Formerly called||MuchMoreRetro (2003–2013)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Optik TV||Channel 257|
MuchRetro is a Canadian English language Category B music video specialty channel owned by Bell Media. MuchRetro is a commercial-free service that broadcasts music videos from the 1980s to the early 2000s.
In November 2000, CHUM Limited was granted approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a national English language Category 2 specialty television service called MuchMore ClassicVideo, described as "consisting of classic (songs more than five years old) music videos and related programs, including music and pop news or commentaries, interviews, concerts, profiles and specials, as well as music-related feature films and series or programs."
In July 2006, Bell Globemedia (later called CTVglobemedia) announced that it would purchase CHUM for an estimated $1.7 billion CAD, included in the sale was MuchMoreRetro. The sale was subject to CRTC approval and was approved in June 2007, with the transaction completed on June 22, 2007.
After the channel's initial launch in 2003, it began to introduce commercials throughout its schedule until August 31, 2009 when the channel, along with the other CTVglobemedia-owned digital music channels, switched back to a commercial-free format.
On September 10, 2010, BCE (a minority shareholder in CTVglobemedia) announced that it planned to acquire 100% interest in CTVglobemedia for a total debt and equity transaction cost of $3.2 billion CAD. The deal which required CRTC approval, was approved on March 7, 2011 and closed on April 1 of that year, on which CTVglobemedia was rebranded Bell Media.
On November 1, 2013, MuchMoreRetro was re-launched as MuchRetro; the rebranding marked the first time the channel had been specifically aligned with the flagship MuchMusic brand, as the channel was previously aligned as a spin-off of MuchMore (which was rebranded as M3 in September 2013).
The first 10 music videos to air on MuchRetro
- 1. Glass Tiger - "Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)"
- 2. Duran Duran - "The Reflex"
- 3. Madonna - "Like a Prayer"
- 4. Michael Jackson - "Beat It"
- 5. Prince & The Revolution - "Kiss"
- 6. Cyndi Lauper - "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
- 7. Corey Hart - "Sunglasses at Night"
- 8. Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69"
- 9. U2 - "Where the Streets Have No Name"
- 10. Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer"
- Decision CRTC 2000-516 CRTC 2000-12-14
- The history of CHUM Globe and Mail article 2006-06-12
- Bell Globemedia acquires CHUM; Fasken Martineau; 2006-07-12
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-165; CRTC; 2007-06-08
- More Music Videos as MuchVibe, MuchLOUD, MuchMoreRetro, and PunchMuch go commercial-free Channel Canada 2009-08-26
- Bell Canada (2010-09-10). "Bell to acquire 100% of Canada's No.1 media company CTV". CNW Group. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- CRTC approves BCE's purchase of CTVglobemedia
- Bell completes acquisition of CTV, launches Bell Media business unit CNW 2011-04-01