|Sport(s)||Women's college basketball|
|Team||University of Notre Dame|
December 5, 1955 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Archbishop Carroll H.S.
St. Joseph's (asst.)
University of Notre Dame
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
1 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (2001)
Naismith Coach of the Year (2001)
(USBWA) Coach of the Year
Women's Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year
AP Coach of the Year (2013)
AP Coach of the Year (2014)
(USBWA) Coach of the Year(2014)
Ann "Muffet" McGraw (born December 5, 1955) is the current head women's basketball coach at Notre Dame. In 27 seasons at Notre Dame, she compiled a 662-217 (.753) record. She led her team to 6 Final Fours (1997, 2001, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014), and won the National Championship in 2001 against Purdue. Notre Dame has made it to the fourth round of the tournament 6 out of the last 11 seasons (through the 2013 tournament), and had 20-win seasons in 13 out of the past 14 seasons. McGraw led the Irish to 14 NCAA tournament appearances including a current streak of 12 straight. In the current streak, Notre Dame made it to the second round in all but one of the appearances. McGraw graduated from Saint Joseph's University and briefly played professionally for the California Dreams of the Women's Professional Basketball League.
McGraw has compiled 50 wins over ranked opponents, including 40 over the last 8 seasons. Her teams appeared in the AP poll 139 times during her tenure. Notre Dame finished in the Top 3 of the Big East in 9 out of the 11 seasons they have been in the league. Notre Dame also received 11 consecutive Top 20 ranked recruiting classes. She is the 27th coach in NCAA history to win over 500 career games, and is currently the 13th head coach in NCAA Division I basketball history to reach 700 career wins.
McGraw was awarded the US Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) Coach of the Year award, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year and the Naismith College Coach of the Year in 2001.
On February 5, 2013 Muffet McGraw achieved her 700th career victory with a win over the Villanova Wildcats in Philadelphia, her hometown, by a score of 59-52, making her the 13th coach in Division 1 history to reach the 700 win milestone. She holds a record of 700-257 (.739) over 31 years of coaching, the past 26 years at Notre Dame.
Awards and honors
- 2001—Naismith Coach of the Year
- 2001—Russell Athletic/WBCA National Coach of the Year
- 2009—Carol Eckman Award
- 2013—Naismith Women's College Coach of the Year
- 2013—Associated Press Division I Women's National Coach of the Year
- 2013—Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Division I Coach of the Year
- 2014—espnW Coach of the Year
- 2014—Associated Press Division I Women's National Coach of the Year 
- 2014—USBWA Coach of the Year 
- 2014—Russell Athletic/WBCA National Coach of the Year
|Lehigh Engineers (East Coast Conference) (1982–1987)|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish (North Star Conference) (1987–1988)|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Midwestern Collegiate Conference) (1988–1995)|
|1988-1989||Notre Dame||21-11||12-2||T-1st||7th in WNIT|
|1990-1991||Notre Dame||23-9||15-1||1st||8th in WNIT|
|1991-1992||Notre Dame||14-17||8-4||2nd||NCAA First Round|
|1993-1994||Notre Dame||22-7||10-2||1st||NCAA First Round|
|1994-1995||Notre Dame||21-10||15-1||1st||3rd in WNIT|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Big East Conference) (1995–2013)|
|1995-1996||Notre Dame||23-8||15-3||2nd||NCAA Second Round|
|1996-1997||Notre Dame||31-7||17-1||2nd||NCAA Final Four|
|1997-1998||Notre Dame||22-10||12-6||T-4th||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|1998-1999||Notre Dame||26-5||15-3||3rd||NCAA Second Round|
|1999-2000||Notre Dame||27-5||15-1||2nd||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2000-2001||Notre Dame||34-2||15-1||T-1st||NCAA National Champions|
|2001-2002||Notre Dame||20-10||13-3||2nd||NCAA Second Round|
|2002-2003||Notre Dame||21-11||10-6||T-5th||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2003-2004||Notre Dame||21-11||12-4||T-2nd||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2004-2005||Notre Dame||27-6||13-3||T-2nd||NCAA Second Round|
|2005-2006||Notre Dame||18-12||8-8||10th||NCAA First Round|
|2006-2007||Notre Dame||20-12||10-6||T-5th||NCAA Second Round|
|2007-2008||Notre Dame||25-9||11-5||4th||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2008-2009||Notre Dame||22-9||10-6||T-4th||NCAA First Round|
|2009-2010||Notre Dame||29-6||12-4||T-4th||NCAA Sweet Sixteen|
|2010–2011||Notre Dame||31-8||13-3||T-2nd||NCAA Runner-up|
|2011–2012||Notre Dame||35-4||15-1||1st||NCAA Runner-up|
|2012–2013||Notre Dame||35-2||16-0||1st||NCAA Final Four|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–present)|
|2013–2014||Notre Dame||37-1||16-0||1st||NCAA Runner-up|
|Notre Dame:||680-219 (.756)||348-83 (.807)|
- "Naismith College Coach of the Year". Atlanta Tipoff Club. Retrieved 5 Jan 2013.
- "USBWA WOMEN'S HONORS". USBWA. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Past Russell Athletic/WBCA National Coaches of the Year". Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Retrieved 30 Jun 2014.
- "Carol Eckman Award". Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Retrieved 1 Jul 2014.
- "Muffet McGraw Sweeps National Coach Of The Year Honors". Notre Dame Athletics. April 9, 2013. Retrieved 14 Mar 2014.
- Smith, Michelle (March 14, 2014). "Stewart is espnW player of the year". ESPN. Retrieved 14 Mar 2014.
- "Breanna Stewart wins as sophomore". ESPN. Retrieved 5 Apr 2014.
- "U.S. BASKETBALL WRITERS AWARDS". U.S. Basketball Writers Association. March 31, 2014. Retrieved 7 Apr 2014.
- "Muffet McGraw - University of Notre Dame Official Athletics Site". University of Notre Dame. Retrieved 2011-04-05.