|Muhammad Saalih Al-Munajjid|
|Born||1960 (age 54–55)|
|Notable idea(s)||Founder of IslamQA.info fatwa website|
Muhammad Saalih Al-Munajjid (محمد صالح المنجد) (born 1960 or 12/30/1380 AH) is a scholar known for founding the website IslamQA.info, which provides answers to questions in line with the Salafi school of thought. Al Jazeera indicates that Al-Munajjid is considered one of most respected scholars in the Salafi movement.
Early life and education
Al-Munajjid was born in Aleppo, Syria in 1960. He was raised in Saudi Arabia. He graduated from King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, with a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Management. Al-Munajjid studied Islamic law under the scholars 'Abd al-'Aziz ibn Baaz, Muhammad ibn al Uthaymeen, Abdullah Ibn Jibreen, Saleh Al-Fawzan, and Abd ar-Rahmaan al-Baraak. He is the imam at the Umar ibn Abd al-'Aziz mosque in the city of Al-Khobar, Saudia Arabia and was the first person to launch a website representing Islam in Saudi Arabia.
In 1996, Al-Munajjid launched a question and answer Islamic website, IslamQA. IslamQA.com was banned in Saudi Arabia due to the fact that it was issuing independent fatwas. In Saudi Arabia, the kingdom's Council of Senior Scholars has sole responsibility and authority for issuing fatwas. The Council was granted this sole authority to issue fatwas by a royal edict issued in August 2010 (while restrictions had been in place since 2005, they were seldom enforced); this move was described by Christopher Boucek as "the latest example of how the state is working to assert its primacy over the country’s religious establishment."
Munajjid holds the view that mice are "one of Satan's soldiers" and make everything they touch impure; and that depictions of the creatures in cartoons such as Tom and Jerry, and Disney's Mickey Mouse, have taught children that they are in fact loveable. Although he was quoted as saying that Mickey Mouse should be killed, he later qualified his statement stating: “What I said was not a fatwa for Mickey Mouse to be killed, no rational person would say such a thing....The true subject being discussed was harmful rodents and mice, not Mickey.” Munajjid condemned the Beijing Olympics as the "bikini Olympics", claiming that nothing made Satan happier than seeing female athletes dressed in skimpy outfits.
His website includes a number of controversial fatwas. These include women who drive being prostitutes, women being "weak, defeated and dazzled" if they take part in politics, women being intellectually inferior to men (on a number of occasions), women who work as broadcasters will lead to illegitimate children, needing to divorce women who don't wear the hijab, needing to leave work if there are women working there too, polygamy being necessary for all Muslim males, being sinful to live in non-Muslim countries (and needing to hate non-muslims if one does live in a non-muslim country), and not being allowed to appreciate the skills of non-muslim football players, because they are non-muslim.
Al-Munajjid indicates that the Islamic concept of Gheerah requires that Muslims protect the Prophet Mohammed from blasphemy for which the determination of guilt and application of the penalty (execution) is to be solely applied by Islamic authorities.
- On the cause of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami: "The problem is that the [Christian] holidays are accompanied by forbidden things, by immorality, abomination, adultery, alcohol, drunken dancing, and … and revelry. A belly dancer costs 2500 pounds per minute and a singer costs 50,000 pounds per hour, and they hop from one hotel to another from night to dawn. Then he spends the entire night defying Allah. "Haven't they learned the lesson from what Allah wreaked upon the coast of Asia, during the celebration of these forbidden? At the height of immorality, Allah took vengeance on these criminals. "Those celebrating spent what they call 'New Year's Eve' in vacation resorts, pubs, and hotels. Allah struck them with an earthquake. He finished off the Richter scale. All nine levels gone. Tens of thousands dead. "It was said that they were tourists on New Year's vacation who went to the crowded coral islands for the holiday period, and then they were struck by this earthquake, caused by the Almighty Lord of the worlds. He showed them His wrath and His strength. He showed them His vengeance. Is there anyone learning the lesson? Is it impossible that we will be struck like them? Why do we go their way? Why do we want to be like them, with their holidays, their forbidden things, and their heresy?"
- In a video posted on the Internet in January 2011 (as translated by MEMRI), Al-Munajjid issued a Fatwa to allow hacking to "Jewish Websites". Al-Munajjid stated that "In principle, hacking into websites and sabotaging them is forbidden. This is not allowed because Allah has forbidden spying" but explained, regarding "Jewish Websites," that:
|“||"This is a special case that requires a special answer. The people whose property and websites are protected do not include criminal aggressors. These Jews are bombing from land, air, and sea, perpetrating a genocide against our brothers, killing women and children, and destroying homes and mosques with people inside... There is no doubt that they are criminals, corrupters, attackers, and saboteurs. Their websites are targeted in the context of the war against them.||”|
- Richard Gauvain, Salafi Ritual Purity: In the Presence of God, p 355. ISBN 9780710313560
- Al Jazeera Studies: "Arab World Journalism in a Post-Beheading Era" by Thembisa Fakude 2013
- Islamopedia Scholar Profiles: "Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid" retrieved January 12, 2015
- Brems, Eva. The Experiences of Face Veil Wearers in Europe and the Law. Cambridge University Press. p. 144.
- "Saudi Arabia blocks 'Islam Question and Answer'," Al Arabiya (in Arabic), September 2, 2010
- Xinhua: "Saudi blocks scholar website after fatwa control decree: report" September 3, 2010
- Christopher Boucek, "Saudi Fatwa Restrictions and the State-Clerical Relationship," Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, October 27, 2010 (accessed November 18, 2013).
- Daily Telegraph: "Mickey Mouse must die, says Saudi Arabian cleric. Mickey Mouse is a corrupting influence and must die, a Muslim cleric has declared" By Martin Beckford 15 September 2008 |""According to Islamic law, the mouse is a repulsive, corrupting creature. How do you think children view mice today – after Tom and Jerry? Even creatures that are repulsive by nature, by logic, and according to Islamic law have become wonderful and are loved by children. Even mice. Mickey Mouse has become an awesome character, even though according to Islamic law, Mickey Mouse should be killed in all cases."
- Saudi Gazette: "Recent ‘Death fatwas’" 12 January 2015
- Islam QA Fatwa 14305: It is essential to respond to those who defame the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) retrieved February 12, 2015 | If we leave the kuffaar and atheists to say whatever they want without denouncing it or punishing them, great mischief will result, which is something that these kuffaar love....Whoever hears the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) being insulted and does not feel any protective jealousy or get angry is not a true believer – we seek refuge with Allaah from humility, kufr and obeying the Shaytaan
- "Baylor University || Media Communications || Associated Press - Tsunami survivors cling tightly to faith across ravaged region". Baylor.edu. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Saudis and Tsunamis". The Weekly Standard. 2005-01-17. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Archival: Saudi Cleric Muhammad Al-Munajjid Issues Fatwa Permitting Hacking into "Jewish Websites", MEMRITV, Clip No. 3687 (transcript) January 21, 2011.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Muhammad Munajid|
- HIS OFFICIAL SITE almunajjid.com
- Collection of Books by Salih Munajjid in PDF-format
- Report: Saudi Cleric Says Mickey Mouse 'Must Die'