Mohammad Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah
|Mohammad Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah|
|Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kuwait|
11 February 2005 – 18 October 2011
|Prime Minister||Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber
Nasser Al Sabah
|Preceded by||Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber|
|Succeeded by||Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah|
10 October 1955 |
Kuwait City, Kuwait
|Alma mater||Claremont Mens College
Early life and education
Al-Sabah was born on 10 June 1955 and is the son of the late Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah. His elder brother is Sheikh Salem Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah, former defense and interior minister. Sabah received a bachelor's degree in economics from Claremont McKenna College. In addition, he holds a master's degree and a PhD in economics from Harvard University.
Al-Sabah was a professor of economics at Kuwait University between 1979 and 1985, before working at the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research from 1987 to 1988. In 1993, he was then appointed ambassador of Kuwait to the United States. He remained in this position until 14 February 2001 when he was appointed state minister for foreign affairs. On 11 February 2005, Sheikh Mohammad was appointed as Kuwait's deputy prime minister while retaining the position of minister of foreign affairs. He resigned from office on 18 October 2011 in protest of alleged corruption in Kuwait's government. He was replaced by another member of the Sabah Family, Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah in the post. After leaving office, Al-Sabah began to work as a visiting fellow at Oxford University.
Al-Sabah is married to Feryal Duaij Al Salman Al Sabah and has four children.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Robert and JoAnn Bendetson Global Leadership Award in Public Diplomacy from Fletcher School at Tufts University.
- 2013 Honorary Doctorate in Social Sciences, Corvinus University - Budapest, Hungry
- 2011 Honorary Doctorate in Communication Systems in International Relations – University for Foreigners of Perugia – Italy
- 2011 "Leone del Marzocco" Order from the city of Florence – Italy
- 2010 Honorary Doctorate Degree of Law, Claremont Mckenna College – United States of America
- 2009 Order of the Republic of Sudan of the First Class
- 2009 Decorations and Medal from the Arab Brotherhood Association – Republic of Yemen
- 2004 Order of Bahrain of the First Class – Kingdom of Bahrain
- 1978 Recipient of The Salvatori Scholar Prize
- "Mottaki confers with senior Kuwaiti officials". Tehran Times. 17 May 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "GCC sees Pakistan as investment destination". Daily Times. 29 August 2004. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Biography". Official website. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Kenneth Katzman (30 August 2013). "Kuwait: Security, Reform, and U.S. Policy". Congressional Research Service. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Sheikh Sabah Appointed FM". Arab Times (Kuwait City). 23 October 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Sheikh Dr. Mohammed Al-Sabah awarded Robert and JoAnn Bendetson Public Diplomacy Award'". KUNA. 3 March 2014. Retrieved 1 November 2014.