Muhammad V of Kelantan
|File:Tuanku Muhammad Faris.JPG|
|Reign||since 13 September 2010|
|Predecessor||Sultan Ismail Petra|
|Spouse||Tengku Zubaidah Tengku Norudin (divorced)|
|Father||Sultan Ismail Petra|
|Mother||Tengku Anis Tengku Abdul Hamid|
6 October 1969 |
Kota Bharu, Kelantan
Muhammad V (previously known as Tuanku Muhammad Faris Petra; born 6 October 1969), is the Sultan of the Malaysian state of Kelantan. He was proclaimed Ruler in September 2010, succeeding his father, Sultan Ismail Petra, who is considered incapacitated by illness.
Early life and regency
Born Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra in Kota Bharu, he was made Crown Prince (Tengku Mahkota) in October 1985.
In May 2009, his father, Sultan Ismail Petra suffered a major stroke. Sultan Ismail Petra was admitted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore and Faris was appointed Regent on 25 May in the Sultan's absence. On 16 September 2010, Faris dismissed his younger brother, the Tengku Temenggong of Kelantan, Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Petra from the Succession Council, which has the power to determine succession to the throne should the Sultan be permanently incapacitated.
Fakhry filed an application at the High Court challenging his dismissal in December, and issued a letter to the state secretary purportedly from the Sultan reversing all actions and decisions made by the Regent, Faris. In January 2010, the High Court rejected Fakhry's application.
In another twist, Sultan Ismail Petra's private secretary "declared" Succession Council chairman Tengku Abdul Aziz Tengku Mohd Hamzah as Regent. The appointment was challenged by Faris in court.
On 13 September 2010, Muhammad Faris Petra was proclaimed the 29th Sultan of Kelantan, in accordance with the State Constitution. He took the regnal name Muhammad V. However, his father, Sultan Ismail Petra has petitioned the Federal Court to declare his appointment unconstitutional. Sultan Ismail Petra is still recovering from the stroke he suffered in 2009.
He married Kangsadal Pipitpakdee (Tengku Zubaidah Tengku Norudin), a member of the Pattani Royal Family and the daughter of a former Thai member of parliament from the province of Pattani, in November 2004. Kangsadal graduated from Mahidol University before working in an insurance company in Bangkok. The wedding was attended by the Queen of Thailand, Prime Minister of Malaysia.Najib Razak and Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai. Kangsadal was known as Tengku Zubaidah Tengku Norudin after the marriage, which ended in divorce. They did not have any children.
Honours of Kelantan
As Sultan of Kelantan (since 13 September 2010) :
- Recipient (DK, 11.11.1986) and Grand Master of the Royal Family Order or Star of Yunus
- Knight Grand Commander (SPMK) and Grand Master of the Order of the Crown of Kelantan or "Star of Muhammad"
- Knight Grand Commander (SJMK) and Grand Master of the Order of the Life of the Crown of Kelantan or "Star of Ismail"
- Knight Grand Commander (SPSK) and Grand Master of the Order of the Loyalty to the Crown of Kelantan or "Star of Ibrahim"
- Grand Master of the Order of the Noble Crown of Kelantan or "Star de Yahya Petra" (since 13 September 2010)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Most Distinguished and Most Valiant Warrior (PYGP, since 13 September 2010)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Recipient of the Order of the Crown of the Realm (DMN, 7.12.2011)
- Johor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Johor (DK I, 14.4.2011)
- Negeri Sembilan :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Negeri Sembilan (DKNS, 13.1.2011)
- Perak :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK)
- Perlis :
- Recipient of the Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (DK)
- Selangor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK I, 11.12.2010)
- "Tuanku Muhammad Faris Petra is new Sultan of Kelantan". Sin Chew Daily. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "Younger prince downplays talk of discord in Kelantan palace". The Star. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "Kelantan royal 'tussle': Prince to know Friday". The Star. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Tengku Fakhry loses case against Regent". The Star. 30 January 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Tengku Faris files to declare Regent's appointment invalid". The Star. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Sultan Muhammad V Official Name of New Kelantan Sultan". Bernama. 22 September 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- "Proclamation Of Tuanku Muhammad Faris Petra As Sultan Unconstitutional, Says Former Sultan". Bernama. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- A. Letchumanan (21 September 2010). "Kelantan’s Tuanku Ismail wants court to declare him rightful Sultan". The Star. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "Conference of Rulers welcomes Sultan Muhammad V". New Straits Times. Bernama. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Kedah Sultan To Be Next King, For The Second Time". Bernama. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Kelantan abuzz with talk of royal wedding". The Star. 22 October 2004. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Last single Malaysian crown prince gets hitched". Taipei Times. Associated Press. 17 November 2004. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Marriage on the cards for Sultan Kelantan". New Straits Times. 5 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- The Royal Ark, Kelantan genealogical details, p.8
- List of decorations as of June 2012.
Muhammad V of Kelantan
Kelantan Royal FamilyBorn: 1969
Sultan Ismail Petra
|Sultan of Kelantan
2010 – present
Tengku Muhammad Faiz Petra