Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
|Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
मुझसे शादी करोगी
مُجھ سے شادی کروگی
|Directed by||David Dhawan|
|Produced by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Written by||Anees Bazmee
|Cinematography||Sanjay F. Gupta|
|Edited by||Nitin Rokade|
|Distributed by||Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment Pvt. Ltd|
|30 July 2004|
|Box office||565 million (US$8.9 million)|
Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (Hindi: मुझसे शादी करोगी, Urdu: مُجھ سے شادی کروگی, English: Will You Marry Me?) is a 2004 Indian romantic comedy film directed by David Dhawan and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala. A remake of the English film Anger Management (2003), the film stars Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, and Priyanka Chopra in the lead roles, making it the second collaboration between Kumar and Chopra after Andaaz and the first collaboration between Khan and Chopra. It also stars Amrish Puri, Satish Shah and Rajpal Yadav supporting roles. The film was released on 30 July 2004 to positive reviews praising the direction, the performances by its cast, the music, the cinematography, the art direction, the costumes and styling.
The film opened to strong collections at the box-office and went on to gross 565 million (US$8.9 million) worldwide. It was the third highest grosser of 2004 and was declared a "Hit" by Box Office India.
Sameer (Salman Khan) is a hot-tempered person with terrible anger management issues ever since his parents died in his childhood. After he beats up a group of goons who tried to assault his girlfriend Roma (Amrita Arora), she breaks up with him due to his bad temper. Thus, as per his horoscope, he is very unlucky in love. With a broken and heavy heart and to get away from everything, he leaves for Goa to take up a job as a lifeguard, where he meets Rani (Priyanka Chopra) and instantly falls in love with her. After many attempts at befriending her and a rough start with her father (Amrish Puri), Rani and Sameer become friends. However, Sameer's ill fated luck comes into play as he still has some rough incidents with her father and Rani, too gets angry with him since she overhears him saying bad things about her to Pandit ji (Rajpal Yadav).
Further trouble arrives in the form of Sunny (Akshay Kumar), who moves into the same house as Sameer and shares a room with him. He too meets Rani, falls in love with her and decides to cause further trouble by getting closer to her through the mistakes Sameer makes. This causes a lot of trouble between the two. It is evident that Sunny is out to ruin Sameer's relationship with Rani so that he can steal Rani away from him. This can further be shown when he takes credit for Sameer as the latter had helped her with money for a fashion show and had made the mistake of remaining anonymous and calling himself her "well-wisher". Also, he goes to the extent of taking credit for a painting of Rani that Sameer has made. He kidnaps Rani's dog, Tommy and blames Sameer for it. These actions aggravate Sameer and ignite his temper, making his relationships rocky. Matters are also not helped when Sameer gets into the bad books of Suraj Prakash (Satish Shah), a man whom he had met on the train to Goa, who had scared Sameer into staying awake for the whole night and whom Sameer had later put on guard duty for night times for 3 months at the club where he was working. Sameer later realises that he is Rani's uncle. Also a misunderstanding occurs when Sameer's grandmother who is partially blind arrives and mistakes Rani's mother for Rani while trying to persuade her into marrying Sameer. Sameer, who goes to sort out the situation gets caught in an embarrassing position with Rani's mother. Rani, who is shocked and disgusted is later advised by her mother that Sameer had not been at fault in that situation. She also says that Rani should carefully deliberate on whom she loves more- Sameer or Sunny.
Disgusted and completely out of hope and patience, Sameer decides to leave Goa forever. As he is leaving, Sunny arrives and taunts him on how he got close to Rani through the latter's mistakes. Sameer says that he has had enough of dreaming of Rani and wishes Sunny all happiness as he leaves. Sunny however tries to have the last laugh as he taunts Sameer again. This time, Sameer loses his temper completely. He rounds on Sunny and chases him through the streets right through to a crowd at a cricket stadium, where India and Pakistan are supposed to be playing a friendly match. Deciding to have one last try, he enters the field after breaking through security, takes the mike from Kapil Dev, the guest of honour, and uses it to apologise to Rani and her parents very sincerely for his past mistakes. Saying so, he confesses his love for her and asks her to marry him in front of the whole crowd, coupled with motivation from spectators and players alike. Rani runs out to the field and embraces him, thus reuniting with him. At the end, Sunny arrives and reveals that he is actually Arun, Sameer's childhood friend who had come to Goa, for a cure to Sameer's anger management issues. He had gone to visit Sameer the first thing after coming back from America after 19 years and had met the latter's grandmother, who had told him about Sameer's heartbreak and subsequent departure for Goa. At that point, he had decided to help Sameer, but by posing as his enemy. He had revealed the same to Rani and her parents earlier. Sameer is then reunited with his old friend as well.
The film ends with Arun conducting Sameer and Rani's marriage.
- Akshay Kumar as Arun Khanna a.k.a. Sunny
- Salman Khan as Sameer Malhotra
- Priyanka Chopra as Rani Singh
- Amrish Puri as Colonel Jugraj Singh
- Amrita Arora as Roma
- Satish Shah as Suraj Prakash
- Rajpal Yadav as Raj Purohit Jyotshi/Paul
- Vindu Dara Singh as eagle gang member
- Kapil Dev as Himself
- Supriya Karnik as Rama Jugraj Singh
- Kader Khan as Mr. Duggal
- Rajesh Vivek as Chutki Baba
- Shashikala as Grandma Malhotra
- Upasana Singh as Mrs. Suraj Prakash
- Parth Dave as Young Sameer
- Shefali Zariwala as Bijili
Mujhse Shaadi Karogi received positive reviews from critics. It was a commercial success, becoming the third highest grossing film of the year, grossing 430 million (US$6.8 million) in India. The film was declared a "Hit" by Box Office India.
The film received 5 out of 5 stars from Bollywood Hungama and 10 out of 10 from Planet Bollywood. Akshay kumar's performance was too much praised by critics as well as audiences and because of him the film has become a cult classic comedy film.
Filmfare Award Nominations
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Kader Khan
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role - Akshay Kumar
- Filmfare Award for Best Playback Singer Female - Lal Dupatta Alka Yagnik
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Akshay Kumar
Screen Weekly Awards
- Best Art Direction Award - Sharmista Roy
- Star Screen Award for Best Film - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- Star Screen Award for Best Choerography - Farah Khan (Lal Dupatta)
- Star Screen Award for Best Cinematography - Sanjay F. Gupta
- Star Screen Award for Best Lyrics - Arun Bhairav (Lal Dupatta)
- Star Screen Award for Best Music - Sajid Ali & Anu Malik
- Star Screen Award for Best Sound - Jitendra Choudhary
- Star Screen Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role - Rajpal Yadav
- Star Screen Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Akshay Kumar
- Star Screen Award for Best Special Effects - Prime Focus
Awards of the International Indian Film Academy
- Best Art Direction Award - Sharmishta Roy
- Best Background Score - Suleiman Merchant
- Best Choerography - Farah Khan (Lal Dupatta)
- Best Costume Design - Vikram Phadnis
- Best Actor in a Comic Role - Akshay Kumar
- Best Film - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- Best Actor in a Leading Role - Salman Khan
- Best Actress in a Leading Role - Priyanka Chopra
- Best Director - David Dhawan
- Best Lyrics - Arun Bhairav (Lal Dupatta)
- Best Music - Sajid Ali
- Best Playback Singer Male - Udit Narayan (Lal Dupatta)
- Best Playback Singer Female - Alka Yagnik (Lal Dupatta)
Zee Cine Awards
- Zee Cine Award for Best Audiography - Jitendra Chaudhary
- Zee Cine Award for Best Screenplay - Anees Bazmee
- Zee Cine Award for Best Film - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role - Salman Khan
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role - Akshay Kumar
- Zee Cine Award for Best Music - Sajid Ali
- Zee Cine Award for Best Song of the Year - Lal Dupatta (Alka Yagnik & Udit Narayan) & Aaja Soniye (Sonu Nigam & Alka Yagnik)
|Mujhse Shaadi Karogi|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music of Mujhse Shaadi Karogi is composed by Sajid-Wajid, except "Jeene Ke Hain Char Din" by Anu Malik. Lyrics are by Arun Bhairav and Jalees Sherwani. All of the songs were picturised on combinations of Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra.
|Track #||Song||Singer(s)||Picturised on||Length|
|1||"Rab Kare"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra||04:21|
|2||"Mujhse Shaadi Karogi"||Udit Narayan, Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan||Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Priyanka Chopra||05:26|
|3||"Jeene Ke Hain Char Din"||Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan||Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra||05:21|
|4||"Lal Dupatta"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra||05:14|
|5||"Kar Doon Kamaal"||Sukhwinder Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan||Akshay Kumar, Priyanka Chopra||04:34|
|6||"Lahoo Banke Aansoo"||Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik, Shabaab Sabri||Akshay Kumar||06:05|
|7||"Aaja Soniye"||Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik||Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra||04:58|
- "Top grossers". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Lifetime Worldwide". Box Office India. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Box Office 2004". Box Office India. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Nominees of 50th Filmfare Awards- The 51st Filmfare Awards". Filmfareawards.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Mujhse Shaadi Karogi Music Review". Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Mujhse Shaadi Kaorgi Music Review". Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "THE MUJHSE SHAADI KAROGI MUSIC REVIEW". Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "MUSIC REVIEW OF MUJHSE SHAADI KAROGI". Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Mujhse Shaadi Karogi at the Internet Movie Database
- Mujhse Shaadi Karogi website at NadiadwalaGrandson
- Mujhse Shaadi Karogi at Bollywood Hungama