|Transmission electron micrograph of the Sin Nombre Hantavirus|
|Group:||Group V ((-)ssRNA)|
Muju virus (MUV) is a zoonotic negative sense single-stranded RNA virus species of the genus Hantavirus. It is one of four rodent-borne Hantaviruses found in the Republic of Korea. It is the etiologic agent for Hantavirus hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS). The other species responsible for HFRS in Korea are Seoul virus, Haantan virus, and Soochong virus.
This species of Hantavirus has not been shown to transfer from person to person. Transmission by aerosolized rodent excreta still remains the only known way the virus is transmitted to humans. In general, drop-let and/or fomite transfer has not been shown in the hantaviruses in either the hemorrhagic or pulmonary forms.
- Conjunctival suffusion
- List of cutaneous conditions
- Sweating sickness, which may have been caused by a hantavirus
- 1993 Four Corners hantavirus outbreak
- Song KJ, Baek LJ, Moon S, Ha SJ, Kim SH, Park KS, Klein TA, Sames W, Kim HC, Lee JS, Yanagihara R, Song JW.Muju virus, a novel hantavirus harboured by the arvicolid rodent Myodes regulus in Korea.J Gen Virol. 2007 Nov;88(Pt 11):3121-9.
- Song, Jin-Won; Moon, Sung-Sil; Gu, Se Hun; Song, Ki-Joon; Baek, Luck Ju; Kim, Heung Chul; Kijek, Tod. Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in 4 US soldiers, South Korea. Emerging Infectious Diseases. J Med Virol. 2006 Feb;78(2):290-7.
- Peters, C.J. (2006). "Emerging Infections: Lessons from the Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers". Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association (Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association) 117: 189–197. PMC 1500910.
- Crowley, J.; Crusberg, T. "Ebola and Marburg Virus Genomic Structure, Comparative and Molecular Biology". Dept. of Biology & Biotechnology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hantaviruses.|
- CDC's Hantavirus Technical Information Index page
- Viralzone: Hantavirus
- Virus Pathogen Database and Analysis Resource (ViPR): Bunyaviridae
- Occurrences and deaths in North and South America
Muju virus is one of four Hantavirus