|Intelligence of the Jamahiriya|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Libya|
|Agency executive||Abuzed Omar Dorda, Director|
Mukhabarat el-Jamahiriya (Arabic: مخابرات الجماهيرية)  (Intelligence of the Jamahiriya) was the national intelligence service of Libya under Muammar Gaddafi. During the Libyan civil war, agency director Abuzed Omar Dorda was captured by anti-Gaddafi forces, the agency ceased to exist when the Jamahiriya was toppled in August 2011.
Mukhabarat el-Jamahiriya allegedly kept Libyan society under surveillance, preventing even open demonstrations. It also carried out murder and espionage against Libyan dissidents living abroad and also infiltrated attempted military coups against the Gaddafi government.
It is publicly known to have carried out these three operations against the West:
- 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing - On 5 April 1986, Libyan agents detonated a bomb a discotheque popular with U.S. soldiers in West Berlin, killing three soldiers, a Turkish woman, and wounding 50 soldiers and 180 civilians.
- Pan Am Flight 103 - On 21 December 1988, Libyan agents detonated a bomb aboard a Pan American Airlines jet over Lockerbie, Scotland. A total of 270 people were killed, eleven of them on the ground. This was in retaliation to British support of the United States during air strikes on Libya.
- UTA Flight 772 - On 19 September 1989, Libyan agents detonated a bomb aboard a French airliner shortly after taking off from N'Djamena International Airport, killing all 170 people aboard. The attack was in retaliation for French support of Chad during the Chadian–Libyan conflict.
The Intelligence Community under Interim Government:
- External Security Service
- Internal Security Service
- General Directorate of Military Intelligence
- Simons, Geoffrey (2003). Libya and the West: from independence to Lockerbie. United Kingdom: I. B. Tauris. p. 106. ISBN 1-86064-988-2. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- Libyan Intelligence from GlobalSecurity.org
|This Libya-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|