|• Total||31.4 km2 (12.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,200 m (3,900 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
|• Density||1,879/km2 (4,870/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Mukono Town is a municipality in Mukono District, Central Uganda. The town is administered by Mukono Town Council, an Urban Local Government within Mukono District Administration. The district is named after the town and the district headquarters are located there. Mukono Town has links to the English town Guildford.
Mukono Town is bordered by Kalagi to the north, Kira Town to the west, Lake Victoria to the south and Lugazi to the east. It lies 27 kilometres (17 mi) east of the central business district of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The town occupies approximately 31.4 square kilometres (12.1 sq mi) of land area. The coordinates of the town of Mukono are:00 21 36N, 32 45 00E (Latitude:0.3600; Longitude:32.7500).
Mukono is one of Uganda's fastest growing urban areas. The 2002 national census estimated the population of the town at 46,506. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population at about 57,400. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Mukono Town at 59,000.
Mukono Town is divided into four administrative units called Wards. These are: (a) Ggulu (b) Nsuube (c) Namumira (d) Ntaawo.
The political head of the Town is the Mayor who is elected to a five-year term by universal adult suffrage using a secret ballot across all the four wards. The supreme policy-making organ in the town is the Town Council, composed of twenty eight (28) elected councilors. Members of the Town Council serve terms of four years each. The technical staff of the Town Council are headed by the Town Clerk under whom there are four municipal departments namely: 1. Management Department 2. Treasury Department 3. Public Health Department and 4. Engineering Department.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located within the town limits or close to its edges:
- The headquarters of Mukono District Administration
- The offices of Mukono Town Council
- Mukono Central Market
- Uganda Christian University (UCU) - A private university affiliated with the Church of Uganda
- Namilyango College - The oldest boys boarding high school in Uganda, located 8 kilometres (5.0 mi), by road, southwest of the town of Mukono
- The Kampala-Jinja Highway passes through the center of town in a west to east direction.
Other points of interest
Other points of interest in Mukono include the following: (a) A branch of Barclays Bank (b) A branch of Bank of Baroda (c) A branch of Centenary Bank (d) A branch of Ecobank (e) A branch of Equity Bank (f) A branch of Finance Trust Bank(g) A branch of Global Trust Bank (h) A branch of Stanbic Bank (i) A branch of United Bank for Africa (j) A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited (k) A branch of DFCU bank (l) A branch of FINCA Uganda (m) Abacus Parenteral Drugs Limited (APDL) - A pharmaceutical company that manufactures intravenous fluids and sterile water for use in injections, ear drops and eye drops.
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 201 Mukono, Uganda
- Office: +256-414-290-359
- Mayamba, Johnson (13 January 2014). "Mukono: The King’s Hand". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Mukono With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Location of Mukono At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Mukono Town In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Nakaweesi, Dorothy (25 January 2010). "Abacus Parenteral Crowned 2009 Investor of The Year". Retrieved 16 April 2014.