Mukunthetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu
|Mukunthetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu|
|Produced by||G.P. Vijayakumar|
|Written by||Sreenivasan (dialogues)|
|Distributed by||Seven Arts|
Mukunthetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu (English: Mukundan, Sumithra is Calling) (1988) is a Malayalam film directed by Priyadarshan, starring Mohanlal, Sreenivasan, and Ranjini.It is a remake of the 1983 Hindi film Katha (English: Story) (Hindi: कथा ) is a film by Sai Paranjpye featuring Naseeruddin Shah, Farooq Shaikh and Deepti Naval in the main roles. The film is about the daily lives of people living in a Mumbai chawl.
Mukundan K. Kartha (Mohanlal) is a simple man, with a decent job, whose old college classmate and friend Viswanath (Sreenivasan) comes to meet him. He lives in a small residential colony in Chennai, where there's a water shortage and the people struggle to make ends meet. The damsel of the colony, Sumithra (Ranjini) likes Mukundan. Viswanath is a fraud and con-man and he makes Mukundan and the people of his colony believe that he is an influential person and classmate of the Public Works Department minister. He makes the people believe that, due to his influence, water pipes arrived at the colony.
Viswanath befriends businessman C.P. Menon and promises to obtain an export license for leather shoes of the latter's company. Viswanath uses Mukundan to obtain money from one of his other victims, which causes Mukundan to lose his job and get arrested by the police.
Viswanath even tries to steal the woman Mohanlal loves, Sumitra, and plans to marry her by tricking her family into thinking that he is rich.
Viswanath goes missing when the people discover that he had tricked them all. Viswanath tries to flee to Dubai, but Mukudan catches him at the airport, defeats him on a fight and tears off his flight ticket. The police catches him later.
The movie takes inspiration from Nasaruddin shah starer movie Katha released in 80's.
- Mohanlal as Mukundan K. Kartha
- Sreenivasan as Viswanath
- Ranjini as Sumithra
- Nedumudi Venu as Kumaran Nair
- Thikkurisi Sukumaran Nair as Menon
- K.P.A.C. Lalitha as Sumithra's mother
- M.G. Soman as C.P. Menon
- Kuthiravattam Pappu as Oussapachen
- Jagathi Sreekumar as Gopi
- Innocent as Ramendra
- Manian Pillai Raju as Sujandra
- Cochin Hanifa as Police Inspector
- Thodupuzha Vasanthi
|1||Ormakal Odi||MG Sreekumar||Shibu Chakravarthy|
|2||Ormakal Odi||KS Chithra, MG Sreekumar||Shibu Chakravarthy|
|3||Poovine||MG Sreekumar, Sujatha Mohan, Janamma David||Shibu Chakravarthy|
The movie got good reviews and became a success at the Box office.
- "Mukunthetta, Sumitra Vilikkunnu (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- Katha IMDB
- Katha synopsis
- "Mukundetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu". www.malayalachalachithram.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Mukundetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Mukundetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "LAL'S FILMS". Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- "Cochin Haneefa". deepthi.com. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
|This article about a Malayalam film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|