Mula River (India)
Mula River from Harris Bridge
|- left||Pawana River|
|- right||Mutha River|
|Landmarks||Mulshi Dam, Pune City|
|- location||Pune District, Pune, Sahyadri|
The Mula is a river in Pune, India. It is dammed near the Western Ghats at the Mulshi Dam that forms the Mulshi Lake. Further downstream, in Pune city, it merges with the Pawana River on the left bank and Mutha River on the right bank to form the Mula-Mutha river, which later meets the Bhima River.
Pollution and flooding
In 2010, areas surrounding the river experienced flash floods due to high levels of pollution and garbage dumped into the river.
The College of Engineering, Pune (CoEP) holds an annual boating festival at the river near its premises. In 2012, it was found that the river was not navigable from Khadki to CoEP because the Maharashtra Natural Gas Limited had obstructed the flow of the river by constructing a mud path to lay a pipeline.
Due to high levels of pollution, including 125 MLD of untreated sewerage water being discharged into the river by the Pune Municipal Corporation, the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board has classified the water quality to be of Class-IV.
- "Quick getaway: Mulshi dam, Chail". The Economic Times (India). 12 April 2012. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- "RIVER SYSTEMS". GAZETTEERS OF BOMBAY STATE - POONA. Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- "Another bridge across Mula river in Dapodi planned". Pune. Times of India. 30 July 2013. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- Gaikwad, Siddharth (28 October 2012). "Pimpri-Chinchwad township cuts over 2,800 trees to widen Aundh-Ravet Road". Pune: Times of India. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- "17-yr-old dies after hitting pole on Harris Bridge". Pune: Times of India. 6 May 2013. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- Chandawarkar, Rahul (5 January 2012). "Maharashtra Natural Gas team inspects damage to Mula river". Pune. DNA (newspaper). Retrieved Jul 9, 2014.
- "PMC removes construction waste along Mutha riverbank". Pune. The Indian Express. 28 June 2009. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- Biswas, Partha Sarthi (18 April 2012). "Mula river ‘wasted’, get set for flash floods this monsoon". Pune: Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved Jul 7, 2014.
- "Dead fish in Mula river raise concern". Pune. Times of India. 22 March 2013. Retrieved Jul 9, 2014.
- "MAJOR SOURCES OF POLLUTION in PUNE". Maharashtra Pollution Control Board. Retrieved Jul 9, 2014.
- "More cannabis growth found on Mula-Mutha river bed". Pune. Indian Express. 2 March 2014. Retrieved Jul 9, 2014.