Mule Creek State Prison
|Population||2,865 (168.5%) (as of 31 December 2012)|
|Managed by||California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation|
|Warden||William Knipp, (acting)|
Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) is a California State Prison. It was opened in June 1987 and covers 866 acres (350 ha) located in Ione, California. The current population is 3,065 or 180.3 percent of its designed capacity of 1,700. The prison has a staff of 1,242 and an annual operating budget of $157 million.
In 2005, MCSP became the only California state prison exclusively for Sensitive Needs Yards (SNY) inmates. SNY inmates are segregated from mainline (a.k.a. general population) inmates for their own safety. Many are gang dropouts, informants, sex offenders, former law enforcement officers, et al. 
Notable former and current inmates
- Robert John Bardo
- John Linley Frazier
- Patrick Kearney
- Andrew Luster
- Lyle Menendez
- Herbert Mullin
- Charles "Tex" Watson
- Hans Reiser
- Suge Knight
- Geronimo Pratt
- Rollen Stewart aka Rainbow Man
- Charles Manson
- Big Lurch
- Gregory Powell (Onion Field Killer)
- Offender Information Services Branch (3 January 2013). "Monthly Report of Population". California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. p. 2. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) (2011). "Institution Statistics". California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Mule Creek State Prison – Official website