|Hamlet and census-designated place|
Howard's Gristmill in Mulino
|• Total||13.81 sq mi (35.76 km2)|
|• Land||13.78 sq mi (35.68 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.09 km2)|
|Elevation||240 ft (70 m)|
|• Density||153/sq mi (58.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1124527|
Mulino, Oregon is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) located in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States, on Oregon Route 213 between the cities of Oregon City and Molalla. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 2,103.
The community was named after a flour mill erected there in 1851, when the community was known as "Howards Mill". "Mulino" is a corruption of the Spanish word molino, or mill, and was chosen for the name when postal authorities objected that "Molino" was easily confused with nearby Molalla. The Mulino post office was established in 1882. As of 2007, the mill building, remodeled into a private residence, still stands. According to a plaque given by the National Register of Historic Places, it is the oldest industrial building to remain standing in Oregon and the oldest building to serve continuously as the local post office. The mill, listed as Howard's Gristmill, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Points of interest
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Mulino has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mulino CDP, Oregon". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh Edition ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- "Oregon National Register List". Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- "Clackamas County Complete Communities". Clackamas County. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- Climate Summary for Mulino, Oregon
- Hamlet of Mulino (official website)
- Mulino official page at Clackamas County website
- The Oregon History Project: Mulino Flour Mill from the Oregon Historical Society
- Photos of Howard's Gristmill from millpictures.com