|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007)|
an Mhala Raithní
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||L824964|
Mulranny (Irish: an Mhala Raithní, meaning "the hill-brow of the ferns")—sometimes spelled as 'Malaranny', 'Mullaranny', 'Mullranny' or 'Mulranny'— is a seaside village on the isthmus between Clew Bay and Blacksod Bay in County Mayo, Ireland. Mulranny is the home of colourful giant fuchsias and exotic plants. This plant life is celebrated each summer during the Mulranny Mediterranean Heather Festival. Mulranny has been cited as a possible source of the ancient Gallowglass MacNevin family, who originally emigrated to Scotland in the mid 10th Century. The Nevin Coat of Arms has a Fern as a main symbol.
Mulranny, nestled at the foot of The Nephin Mountain Range, offers long sandy blue flag beaches and a relatively mild climate. Mulranny also plays host to a breathtaking coastal lagoon. The Corraun Peninsula, which contains three mountain peaks, is situated across Clew Bay.
In 2011, Mulranny was a winner of the EDEN (European Destination of Excellence) award.
Mallaranny is located on the N59 national secondary road.
Bus Éireann route 440 (Dooagh-Westport-Knock Airport operates once a day in each direction. On Sundays route 440 does not operate however Expressway route 52 provides an evening journey each way to/from Westport and Galway
Walking & cycling
Mulranny lies on the 42km Great Western Greenway, which runs between Westport and Achill.
- Mallaranny has also been a second home to Sir Ernest Chain, the man accredited with developing the application of penicillin, and was awarded the Nobel prize for Medicine along with Alexander Fleming in 1945.
- Another famous home owner has been Desmond Llewelyn, better known for his role as "Q" in the James Bond movies.
- The 'Mulranny Crew' is a relatively well known 'crew' active on the Irish kitesurfing circuit.
- The Mulloy Brothers,a well known traditional Irish music band
- Mulranny is the home of Dr Jerry Cowley; an Irish barrister, medical doctor and former politician.