Multiscanning is running multiple anti-malware or antivirus engines concurrently. Traditionally, only a single engine can actively scan a system at a given time. Using multiple engines simultaneously can result in conflicts that lead to system freezes and application failures. However, a number of security applications and application suites have optimized multiple engines to work together.
Testing agencies published results showing that no single antivirus engine is 100% effective against every malware threat. Because each engine uses different scanning methodologies and updates their malware definition files at various frequencies, using multiple engines increases the likelihood of catching malware before it can affect a system or network.
- Coranti – Combined the engines of BitDefender, F-Prot, and the multiple ones of Lavasoft Ad-Aware. As of 31 December 2012 Coranti is no longer active.
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware – Combines an in-house engine with BitDefender engine.
- F-Secure – Combines an in-house engine with BitDefender's engine.
- G-Data AntiVirus – Combines in-house and BitDefender's engines. avast has been removed with version 2014
- HitmanPro – Combines an in-house behavioral engine with a cloud containing engines from Emsisoft Anti-Malware, IKARUS, Dr. Web, Kaspersky Lab, and the multiple ones of G-Data.
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware – Combines an in-house anti-spyware engine with Vipre's engine. Ad-Aware Total Security replaces Vipre with G-Data's multiple engines.
- Microsoft Forefront – Combines the engines of Authentium, Kaspersky, Norman and VirusBuster, with its own in-house engine.
- OPSWAT Metascan – Combines several anti-malware engines.
- TrustPort Antivirus – Combines the engines of BitDefender and AVG. Business editions also include the engines of Dr. Web, VirusBlokAda, and optionally Norman.
- Qihoo 360 Internet Security use Bitdefender Engine,QVM 2 Engine,360 Cloud engine
- Clash Of The Antivirus Apps. Smart Computing Article (2007-01-05). Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- System Locks With Multiple Anti-Virus Programs | Dell. Support.dell.com (2005-03-15). Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- Why one virus engine is not enough. GFI White Paper. gfi.com
- AV-TEST.org. AV-TEST. Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- The advantage of multiple anti-virus engines on server products – Forefront Team Blog – Site Home – TechNet Blogs. Blogs.technet.com (2007-10-19). Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware Scanner Technology. Emsisoft.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- Bitdefender Releases Carrier IQ Finder for Android.
- Complete coverage of the G-Data Internet Security 2010 Antivirus & Security Software. PCWorld (2009-05-28). Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- Hitman Pro 3 – SurfRight. Surfright.nl. Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- New Microsoft Forefront Software Runs Five Antivirus Vendors' Engines. Dark Reading (2010-05-05). Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- Metascan Antivirus API | Symantec SDK, McAfee API, Kaspersky API. Opswat.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-29.