- For other places named 'Muncy', please see Muncy (disambiguation).
Muncy Creek has its source in Sullivan County and flows generally west by southwest through the county. Muncy Creek rises in Davidson Township and flows west, forming the border between Davidson and Laporte townships. It then forms the border between Shrewsbury and Davidson townships, passing through the villages of Nordmont, Sonestown, and Muncy Valley.
It then enters Lycoming County and forms the border between Shrewsbury and Penn townships, flowing through their unincorporated villages of Glen Mawr and Tivoli. It continues through the borough of Picture Rocks, then through Wolf Township and the borough of Hughesville. It finally enters Muncy Creek Township, where it receives Little Muncy Creek near the village of Clarkstown, then reaches its confluence with the West Branch Susquehanna River just north of Muncy.
The Muncy Creek watershed encompasses an area of 122 square miles (320 km2) and has a population of 8,994 (as of 2000). Approximately 49.5% of the Muncy Creek watershed is in Lycoming County and 50.5% in Sullivan County. Of that area, 95 square miles (250 km2) are forested, 25 sq mi (65 km2) are given to agricultural uses, only 1 sq mi (2.6 km2) are developed, and the remaining 1 sq mi (2.6 km2) is classified as barren.
The Little Muncy Creek watershed has an area of 82 square miles (210 km2) and a population of 3,735 (as of 2000). Approximately 87.4% of the Little Muncy Creek watershed is in Lycoming County, 5.7% is in Columbia County, 5.3% is in Sullivan County, and 1.5% is in Montour County. Of that area, 48 square miles (120 km2) are forested and 34 sq mi (88 km2) are given to agricultural uses.
Little Muncy Creek is the major tributary of Muncy Creek. Other streams feeding Muncy Creek include Rock Run, Big Run, Gregs Run, Sugar Run, and Trout Run.
Little Muncy Creek has its source in Davidson Township in Sullivan County, then flows south in Jordan Township in Lycoming County. It then flows west into Franklin Township then Moreland Township and finally Muncy Creek Township, where it flows into Muncy Creek just west of the village of Clarkstown. Other streams feeding Little Muncy Creek include Marsh Run, Beaver Run, Laurel Run, Big Run, German Run, and Little Indian Run.
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed August 8, 2011
- Pennsylvania Gazetteer of Streams. Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, 2001.
- Lycoming County Watersheds Map
- History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania, edited by John F. Meginness, ©1892 (copyright expired)
- Official Lycoming County Map showing all townships, villages, boroughs, cities, county roads, rivers, creeks, and some streams
- Chesapeake Bay Program page on Muncy Creek Watershed
- USGS Real Time Water Data for Muncy Creek:
- Lycoming County Stream Gauge Data for Muncy Creek:
Little Muncy Creek
- Chesapeake Bay Program page on Little Muncy Creek Watershed
- Lycoming County Stream Gauge Data for Little Muncy Creek: