Mundian To Bach Ke
|"Mundian To Bach Ke"|
|Single by Panjabi MC|
|from the album Beware|
November 25, 2002 (re-release)
|Format||CD maxi, CD single, 12" maxi|
|Recorded||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
|Genre||Electronica, bhangra, alternative hip hop|
|Panjabi MC singles chronology|
"Mundian To Bach Ke" (Punjabi: ਮੁੰਡਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਬੱਚ ਕੇ, Punjabi pronunciation: [mʊɳɖɪɑ̃ tõ bəttʃ ke]), also titled "Beware of the Boys (Mundian To Bach Ke)", is a bhangra song performed by Punjabi artist Labh Janjua and lyrics written by Channi from Khanna, Punjab, India and remixed by Panjabi MC in 1998. The song was produced in Birmingham, United Kingdom for the album Legalised. Following its re-release as a single in 2002, it achieved considerable worldwide success, topping the singles charts in Italy and Belgium (Wallonia), and charting highly in many other countries.
Lyrics and music
In addition to features of bhangra music, "Mundian To Bach Ke" also uses the bass line and part of the beat from "Fire It Up" by Busta Rhymes, which in turn is based around a sample from the television theme song for Knight Rider, written by Glen A. Larson and Stu Phillips, as an underlying element and lyrics originally written by Channi from Khanna, Punjab, India. The lyrics of the song are in Punjabi. The video to this song was shot in the streets of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The song was originally released in the United Kingdom on his 1998 album Legalised. Partially fueled by Internet downloads, it charted again in 2003. In Germany, it sold over 100,000 in the first two days alone, and debuted at #2 in the Germany charts and reached #1 in the Italy charts. The week of its release in the UK, it debuted at #5 on the top 40 charts; it was also the first bhangra song to reach the UK top 10. The remix, featuring American rapper Jay-Z, also hit #33 on the Billboard charts in the United States and #10 in Canada. Total worldwide sales of "Mundian To Bach Ke" is estimated to be in the millions, with Alona Wartofsky of The Washington Post estimating as many as 10 million units sold.
In popular culture
- "Mundian To Bach Ke" is used frequently in western media when Indian characters are on screen. It was used on an episode of ER, when Gallant and Neela danced to a version of the song, which Gallant called a "Sikh rap".
- "Mundian To Bach Ke" was also used in America's Best Dance Crew Season 2 on week 9 of the Around The World challenge as part of the Indian dance section. It also appeared in an episode of the American television show Queer as Folk during a scene at the club Babylon. A version of this song was used in the Ginebra San Miguel "Bilog Ang Mundo" ad campaigns in 2003. The song was featured in an episode of Entourage. It was used twice in the pilot of the NBC comedy Outsourced.
- "Mundian To Bach Ke" was also the song used by Derek Hough and Shawn Johnson in their Knight Rider bhangra-themed dance in the semi-finals of Dancing with the Stars (All Stars Season).
- The remix of "Mundian To Bach Ke", which featured American rapper Jay-Z, was featured in the trailer for the 2012 American film The Dictator, as the film's main theme song.
- Sports-comedy Stick It featured the beginning of "Mundian To Bach Ke" in a scene where a group of teens escape from the arriving police.
- "Mundian To Bach Ke" was used in Debut film "Boom" of famous actress Katrina Kaif.
- In 2009, German singer Peter Fox mashed this song with Seeed's song "Dickes B" during the tour for his solo album Stadtaffe.
Charts and sales
End of year charts
"Feel" by Robbie Williams
|Italian FIMI number-one singles
January 24, 2003 – February 7, 2003 (3 weeks)
"Almeno tu nell'universo" by Elisa
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem
|Belgian (Wallonia) number-one singles
February 22, 2003 (1 week)
"Le Frunkp" by Alphonse Brown
- Amit Puri (2003). Mundian toh bachke raheen Boom(s) with Punjabi MC. The Tribune
- Wendy Kagan. Panjabi MC. eNotes.
- Satnam Rana (January 2003). "Coventry-born Panjabi MC creates pop history". BBC. Retrieved 2006-06-12.
- Panjabi MC at AllMusic
- Wartofsky, Alona (2003-07-13). "Rap's Fresh Heir". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Peter Fox – Dickes B Live from Berlin". YouTube, LLC. Google, Inc.
- "Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- "Danishcharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke". Tracklisten.
- "Panjabi MC: Mundian To Bach Ke" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Mundian to Back Ke, various singles charts Acharts.us (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- "Italiancharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Panjabi MC search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke". Singles Top 60.
- "Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- 2003 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- 2003 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- 2003 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- 2003 French Singles Chart Disqueenfrance.com (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- 2003 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved September 1, 2008)
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2003". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Panjabi MC; 'Mundian To Bach Ke')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Panjabi MC; 'Mundian to back ke')". Hung Medien.