April 11, 1983|
|Occupation||Photographer, teacher, writer|
|Known for||Documentary photography|
|Notable work(s)||Old Dhaka- Belonging,
Salt Water Tears,
In God We Trust
|Part of a series on the|
Munem Wasif (born April 11, 1983) is a Documentary photographer from Bangladesh.
Munem Wasif (Bengali: মুনেম ওয়াসিফ) is an eminent documentary photographer in Bangladesh. He has been represented by Agence Vu since 2008, and is now teaching documentary photography at Pathshala South Asian Media Academy.
He was selected for the World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass in 2007. In 2008, he won the City of Perpignan Young Reporter's Award at Visa pour l'image. That year, he also won the International Award for concerned photography, the F25 for under-25's in the Fabrica awards. The following year, he was awarded the Prixpictet commission. for his work on the water crisis of the northwest region of Bangladesh.
His work has been exhibited worldwide, including at the Musée de l'Élysée, and the Fotomuseum Winterthur in Switzerland, the International Photography Biennial of the Islamic World in Iran, Tokoy Metropolitan Museum of Photography in Japan, the Kunsthal Museum and the Noordelight festival. in the Netherlands, Angkor photo festival in Cambodia, London's Whitechapel Gallery, Palais de Tokyo, Visa pour l'image in France, and at Chobi Mela, . Bangladesh.
Wasif's photographs have been published in Le Monde 2, the Sunday Times Magazine, The Guardian., Politiken, Io Donna, Mare, Du, Days Japan, L'espresso, Libération, Courier International, Photo, British Journal of Photography, Lens Culture, Photo District News and Zonezero. Munem Wasif began his career as a feature photographer for the Daily Star newspaper, Bangladesh, after graduating from Pathshala.
- 2012, Salt Water Tears, Musée du sel, La reunion, France
- 2012, Bangladesh Standing on the Edge, La Brassaire, France
- 2011, 38 Photographs, Fotoartfestival, Karkow, Poland
- 2011, Old Dhaka-Belonging, Noorderlicht Photofestival, Groningen, Netherland
- 2011, Salt Water Tears, Chobimela VI, International festival of Photography, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2010, In God We trust, M55 gallery, Athens, Greece
- 2010, Salt Water Tears, Sagamihara, Japan
- 2010, Salt Water Tears, Lumix Festival of Photojournalism, Hannover, Germany
- 2010, In God We Trust, Visa pour L'image, Perpignan, France
- 2010, Salt Water Tears- Prix Pictet Laureates, Musée de l'Élysée, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2010, Where Three Dreams Cross, Group Exhibition, Fotomuseum Winterthur, Switzerland
- 2010, Old Dhaka- Belonging, Artefoto, festival of photography, Ancona, Italy
- 2010, Where Three Dreams Cross, Group Exhibition, Whitechappel gallery, London, England
- 2009, Salt Water Tears, Prix Pictet, Mall Gallery, London, England
- 2009, Old Dhaka- Belonging, Fotopub festival of photography, Slovenia
- 2009, Salt Water Tears, Bâtiment des Forces Motrices, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2009, Blood Splinter of Jute, Nepal Art council, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 2009, Blood Splinter of Jute, Chobimela V festival of Photography, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2009, Bangladesh Sure le fil, Villa de la region, La Reunion, France
- 2008, Bangladesh Sure le fil, Visa pour L'image, Perpignan, France
- 2008, Illegal Immigrants From Myanmar, Angkor Photo festival, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 2008, Water Tragedy, Prix Pictet, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France
- 2007, Tainted Tea, PDFX12 group exhibition, Kansai University, Osaka, Japan
- 2007, Bangladesh Now, group exhibition, Drik Gallery, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Larmes salées /Salty Tears, Images Plurielles, France 2011, ISBN 978-2-919436-01-9
- Street photography now, Thames & Hudson, England 2010, ISBN 9780500289075
- Under the Banyan Tree, Pathshala, Bangladesh 2010, ISBN 978-984-33-3444-2
- Bangladesh Standing on the Edge, CDP Editions, France 2008, ISBN 978-2351300220
Grants and awards
- Sagamihara photo Asian Prize by Sagamihara photo festival, Japan. 2010
- Prixpictet commission on water, France, 2009
- City of Perpignan Young Reporter's Award, VISA POUR L'IMAGE, France, 2008
- F25, International Award for concerned photography, Italy, 2008
- 30 emerging photographers by Photo District News, USA, 2008
- Young reporter award by Festival du Scoop of Angers, France, 2008
- Joop Swart Masterclass by World Press Photo, Netherland, 2007
- Munem Wasif in Agence VU , 2012
- Faculty at Pathshala, South Asian Media Academy, 2012
- City of Perpignan Young Reporter’s Award, 2008. .
- Prix Pictet Commission., 2008
- Exhibition Noorderlicht Photo Festival, 2012..
- Salt Water Tears in Chobimela, International festival of photography, 2009.
- A Sea of Tears, Guardian, 2009..
- Tainted Tea in Zonezero, 2008.
- Munem Wasif, website
- Munem Wasif in Agence VU
- Interview in French culture radio by Amaury Chardeau, 2012
- Munem Wasif in Prothom Alo By Munira Morshed Munni, 2012
- Artist talk in Delhi Photo Festival, India, 2011
- Thinking locally in British Journal of Photography, 2010
- Salt Water Tears in Kunsthal Rotterdam museum, 2010
- Photography caught amid sea and swamp in Financial Times, 2009
- Death of the golden fibre, Chobimela V, The Daily star, 2009