Municipality of Ashfield
|Municipality of Ashfield
New South Wales
Location in Metropolitan Sydney
|• Density||4,971.5/km2 (12,876.1/sq mi)|
|Area||8 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Lucille McKenna (Labor)|
The Municipality of Ashfield is a local government area in the Inner West of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) west of the Sydney central business district.
The municipality comprises:
It also includes parts of:
At the 2011 Census, there were 41,214 people in the Ashfield local government area, of these 48.6% were male and 51.4% were female. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 0.6% of the population. The median age of people in the Municipality of Ashfield was 37 years. Children aged 0 – 14 years made up 15.1% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 14.4% of the population. Of people in the area aged 15 years and over, 45.1% were married and 10.0% were either divorced or separated.
Population growth in The Municipality of Ashfield between the 2001 Census and the 2006 Census was 1.76%; while in the subsequent five years to the 2011 Census, population growth was 3.90%. When compared with total population growth of Australia for the same periods, being 5.78% and 8.32% respectively, population growth in Ashfield local government area was significantly less than the national average. The median weekly income for residents within the Municipality of Ashfield of was generally on par with the national average.
At the 2011 Census, the proportion of residents in Ashfield local government area who stated their ancestry as Chinese was in excess of four times the state and national averages; and the proportion of households where an Asian language was spoken at home was approximately six times higher than the national average.
|Historical census data for Ashfield local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on Census night||38,981||39,667||41,214|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales||54|
|% of New South Wales population||0.6%||0.60%|
|% of Australian population||0.21%||0.20%||0.19%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$514||A$628|
|% of Australian median income||108.8%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$1,101||A$1,689|
|% of Australian median income||107.2%||114.0%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$1,304||A$1,413|
|% of Australian median income||111.4%||114.5%|
Current composition and election method
Ashfield Municipal Council is composed of twelve Councillors elected proportionally as four separate wards, each electing three Councillors. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 30 September 2013, and the makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Australian Labor Party||4|
|Liberal Party of Australia||4|
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election by ward, is:
|East Ward||Julie Passas||Liberals|
|Caroline Stott||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
|North East Ward||Ted Cassidy PSM||Independent|
|North Ward||Adriano Raiola||Liberal|
|South Ward||Mark Drury||Labor|
List of past mayors
|Morris Mansour||Independent||2012 - 2013|
|Lyall Kennedy||Greens||2011 - 2012|
|Ted Cassidy PSM||Independent||2006 - 2011|
|Rae Desmond Jones||Labor||2004 - 2006|
|Mark Bonanno||Labor||1997 - 2004|
|Vincent Sicari||No Aircraft Noise||1996 - 1997|
|Lew Herman||Labor||1995 - 1996|
|Dr John Ward||1991 - 1995|
|Lew Herman||Labor||1976 - 1991|
|Paul Whelan||Labor||1972 - 1976|
|Richard Murden||Liberal||1967 - 1972|
The full list of mayors since 1872 can be found here.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Ashfield (A)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Murada, Lauren; Murray, Oliver; Hamwi, Omar (26 September 2012). "Marrickville, Ashfield and Leichhardt councils elect new mayors". Inner West Courier. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Ashfield (A)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Ashfield (A)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Candidates in Sequence of Election Report: Ashfield Municipal Council: East Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Candidates in Sequence of Election Report: Ashfield Municipal Council: North East Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Candidates in Sequence of Election Report: Ashfield Municipal Council: North Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Candidates in Sequence of Election Report: Ashfield Municipal Council: South Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- List of mayors taken from plaques inside Ashfield Council Chambers