Munson Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Munson Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Geauga County
|• Total||25.9 sq mi (67.1 km2)|
|• Land||25.6 sq mi (66.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,211 ft (369 m)|
|• Density||252.4/sq mi (97.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086157|
Located in the north central part of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Chardon Township - north
- Hambden Township - northeast corner
- Claridon Township - east
- Burton Township - southeast corner
- Newbury Township - south
- Russell Township - southwest corner
- Chester Township - west
- Kirtland - northwest corner
Munson Township is home to Alpine Valley, one of the few skiing locations in Ohio.
Munson Township is also home to four parks, Munson Township Park, Nero Nature Preserve, Town Hall Park and Scenic River Retreat.
Name and history
It is the only Munson Township statewide.
Munson Township was formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve. It is township eight, range eight on the map of the Western Reserve.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.