Murder of Adrianne Reynolds
|Adrianne Leigh Reynolds|
September 12, 1988|
|Died||January 21, 2005
Cause of death
The murder of East Moline, Illinois, teenager Adrianne Leigh Reynolds made national headlines. She was strangled, beaten, burned, and dismembered by her classmates Sarah Anne Kolb and Cory Gregory on January 21, 2005.
People Involved in Incident
Adrianne Reynolds was originally from Kilgore, Texas. She moved to East Moline, Illinois, when she was 16 to live with her adopted father and her stepmother, Tony and Joann Reynolds. She began attending Black Hawk College Outreach Center in November 2004 to earn her GED so she could realize her dream of joining the Marines. While there, she met fellow students Sarah Kolb and Cory Gregory.
Sarah Kolb was reportedly a popular girl at the Outreach Center, and a self-identified Juggalette. She lived with her mother and stepfather in the nearby town of Milan, Illinois. When Adrianne started in the school, she befriended Sarah's friend Cory Gregory and boyfriend Sean McKitrick.
Cory Gregory was also a Juggalo, and originally attended Moline High School but later transferred to the Outreach Center, where he met Sarah. He lived with his mother at the time of the incident. In January 2005, Adrianne reportedly asked Cory out, which allegedly angered Sarah.
On the afternoon of January 21, 2005, Sarah invited Adrianne to join her, Cory, and Sean for lunch at Taco Bell; on the way there, Sarah and Adrianne reportedly began fighting. In the parking lot, Cory held down Adrianne while Sarah strangled her with a belt and beat her with a wooden handle.
After the murder, Sarah and Cory took Adrianne's body to Sarah's grandparents' farm in Aledo, Illinois, where they tried to burn it with gasoline. When it failed to burn after several hours, they recruited Nathan Gaudet, a 16-year-old boy from Moline, to help dismember the body. Nathan used his grandfather's handsaw to remove Adrianne's head and arms and placed them in a garbage bag. The three teenagers ate lunch at McDonald's, then later disposed of the garbage bag at the Black Hawk State Park.
Arrests and trials
Sarah was the first to go to trial, which began on October 31, 2005, at the Rock Island County Courthouse. After two weeks of trial and 15 hours of deliberation, the trial jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict on any of the three charges. One juror opted for acquittal, while eleven were in favor of conviction.
At her retrial on February 6, 2006, in Dixon, Illinois, Sarah was convicted on all counts. At sentencing a few months later, she received a total of 53 years in prison for murder and concealment: 48 years for murder and five years for concealment. She is serving her sentence at the Logan Correctional Center.
In the meantime, Cory Gregory pled guilty to all charges against him. On July 10, 2006, he was sentenced to 45 years in prison: 40 for murder and five for concealment. He is serving his sentence at the Stateville Correctional Center.
Nathan Gaudet was also charged with concealment for helping to dismember Adrianne. He pled guilty and was given a juvenile sentence of five years. He was released from juvenile detention on November 11, 2008, after serving almost four years. On April 16, 2012, Nathan Gaudet died in an automobile accident in Indiana.
This case has been discussed or portrayed on Dateline NBC in October 2006; Deadly Women in December 2010; E! Investigates in June 2011; Snapped in September 2011, and I Killed My BFF on LMN in August 2013.
- http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20146836,00.html. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://www.adriannereynolds.com/About%20Adrianne.html. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://qctimes.com/news/local/article_491d3fbc-0643-11df-a00e-001cc4c03286.html. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?90249-Illinois-teen-killed-and-dismembered-classmates-under-arrest. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=296357. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://findcarrie.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=murder1&action=print&num=1111895846. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15333880/ns/dateline_nbc/t/circle-friends/. Retrieved 2011-08-05. Missing or empty
- http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=4051509. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
- http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?s=5296568. Retrieved 2011-08-05. Missing or empty
- http://www.idoc.state.il.us/subsections/search/inms.asp. Retrieved 2011-08-15. Missing or empty
-  Quad-City Times, Retrieved 18 April 2012