Murder of Nicola Furlong
|Born||17 December 1990|
|Died||24 May 2012
Keio Hotel, Shinjuku, Tokyo
Cause of death
|Known for||Murder victim|
Police arrested two Americans, one 19-year-old Richard Hinds and the other 23-year-old dancer, James Jamari Blackston, who allegedly invited Furlong and her friend for drinks after meeting them at the Nicki Minaj concert. During the trial, Hinds said he put his hands around Furlong's neck after she indicated she wanted rough sex and that he had no intention to kill her. According to police, Maher was sexually assaulted in a taxi on the way to the hotel, where the hotel provided a wheelchair to take the comatose girls to the men's rooms. Police said the groping that took place in the taxi was captured on a security camera, as was the entrance of the two women to the hotel in wheelchairs being pushed by the two men. Results of toxicology tests showed Nicola Furlong had taken Xanax, an anti-depressant she had been prescribed by a physician, and had consumed alcohol. No so called date-rape drugs were found in her blood.
- "Nicola’s family vow to attend Japan trial | The Sun |Irish Sun|Irish Sun News". The Sun. 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Spa guide. "Christian musician killed Nicola for refusing sexual advance, say police - National News". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Spa guide. "Nicola Furlong: Dad lands in Tokyo looking for answers - National News". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Japan Murder Arrest: American Teenager Likely to Remain Behind Bars - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Spa guide. "Memphis Christian musician Richard Hinds (19) suspected of killing Nicola Furlong - National News". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Two American men still jailed in Japan in death of Irish exchange student Nicola Furlong - Crimesider". CBS News. 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Memphis teen Richard Hinds confesses to Nicola Furlong’s Tokyo murder | Irish News and Politics spanning the US, Ireland and the World". IrishCentral. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Americans Arrested in Death of Irish Student in Tokyo - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Rumors, lies fill void left by police in Furlong case | The Japan Times Online". Japantimes.co.jp. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "U.S. men held over alleged rape, Irish woman's death | The Japan Times Online". Japantimes.co.jp. 2012-05-27. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "U.S. teen in custody formally arrested in Irish woman's slaying | The Japan Times Online". Japantimes.co.jp. 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Kyung Lah (2012-06-15). "American arrested in death of Irish woman in Tokyo hotel room". CNN. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- McNeill, David (19 March 2013). "Hinds guilty of murdering Irish student Nicola Furlong: Japanese court sentences US musician to minimum of five years in prison for killing Co Wexford woman in Tokyo hotel room". The Irish Times. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Murphy, Paul (19 March 2013). "Nicola Furlong family angered at Japanese justice system". Irish Independent. Retrieved 19 March 2013.