Muriel (given name)
|Cognate(s)||Muireall (Scottish Gaelic), Muirgheal (Irish)|
|Look up Muriel in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The name is derived from a Celtic language name composed of word elements meaning "sea" and "bright". Forms of Muriel are found in the Breton, Irish, and Scottish Gaelic languages. In the form Merial, the name was very common in mediaeval England. Muriel was mainly used in Scotland at first, although the name became popular outside the country in the early 20th century.
A Scottish Gaelic form of the name is Muireall; and Irish form of the name is Muirgheal.
The name's modern usage in the English speaking world dates from the mid-19th century being initiated or augmented by its appearance in Dinah Craik's 1856 novel John Halifax, Gentleman in which the title character's daughter is named Muriel; born in 1802 Muriel is said to be named "after the rather peculiar name of John's mother."
Usage of Muriel peaked in the early 1920s and has subsequently declined.
List of persons with the given name
- Muriel Anderson (born 1960), American guitarist
- Muriel Angelus (1909–2004), British actress
- Muriel Barbery (born 1969), Moroccan-born French novelist
- Muriel Beaumont (1881–1957), British actress
- Muriel Box (1905–1991), British screenwriter and film director
- Muriel Brunskill (1899–1980), British contralto
- Muriel Davisson, American neuroscientist
- Muriel Day (born 1942), Irish singer
- Muriel Duckworth (1908–2009), Canadian activist
- Muriel Gray (born 1958), Scottish author, broadcaster and journalist
- Muriel Gustavo Becker (born 1987), Brazilian male footballer
- Muriel Pavlow (born 1921), British actress
- Muriel Rukeyser (1913–1980), American poet and political activist
- Muriel Smith (1923–1985), American mezzo-soprano
- Muriel Spark (1919–2006), British novelist
List of fictional characters with the given name
- Muriel (Animal Farm), a wise old goat in George Orwell's novel Animal Farm
- Lady Muriel Orme is one of the main characters in Lewis Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno novels
- Muriel, hotel maid who was a recurring character in the family sitcom The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
- Muriel Bagge, a main character in Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Muriel Heslop, lead character in the 1994 iconic Australian film Muriel's Wedding
- Muriel McComber, teenage lead role in the Eugene O'Neill play Ah, Wilderness! (1933)
- Muriel Pritchett, character in the Anne Tyler novel The Accidental Tourist (1985)
- Muriel Rush, female lead role in the sitcom Too Close for Comfort
- Muriel Stacy, Anne's teacher in Anne of Green Gables, which had a big influence upon the development of the main character
- Chandler Muriel Bing, one of the male lead roles in the US TV sitcom Friends (1994-2004)
- Muriel Weasley, elderly gossipy great-aunt of Ron Weasley in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2009)
- Muriel, the main antagonist in the film Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)
- Muriel, Dictionary.com, retrieved 4 February 2011 which cited: Dictionary.com Unabridged, Random House.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, pp. 199, 352, 406, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- Dinah Craik John Halifax, Gentleman Kessinger Publishing p. 262
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|