Murray Rosenblatt (born September 7, 1926) is a statistician specializing in time series analysis who is a Professor of mathematics at University of California, San Diego. He received his Ph.D. at Cornell University. He is also a recipient of Guggenheim Fellowship, in 1965, as well as a member of the National Academy of Sciences, since 1984. He has written about 140 research articles, 4 books, and co-edited 6 books.
Education and career
Rosenblatt was born in New York City and went to City College of New York. He completed his PhD in 1949 under the direction of Mark Kac at Cornell University. He became an instructor/assistant professor in the Committee of Statistics at the University of Chicago. He was at the University of Indiana, and Brown University before his joining the University of California at San Diego in 1964. He became well known for his contributions on time series and Markov processes. He conducted seminal work on density estimation, central limit theorems under strong mixing, spectral domain methods and long memory processes.
Awards and honors
In addition to being a fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and American Association for the Advancement of Science, he was a Guggenheim fellow (1965–1966, 1971–1972) and was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1984. In 2013 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society, for "contributions to probability and statistics".
- Rosenblatt, M. Errett Bishop: Reflections on Him and His Researches on Foundations and Function Algebras. American Mathematical Society. ISBN 0-8218-5040-7
- Rosenblatt, M. Gaussian and Non-Gaussian Linear Time Series and Random Fields. Springer Verlag. ISBN 0-387-98917-X.
- Rosenblatt, M. Markov Processes: Structure and Asymptotic Behavior Springer Verlag. ISBN 0-387-05480-4.
- Brillinger D. R., Caines P., Geweke J., Rosenblatt M., Taqqu M. S. New Directions in Time Series Analysis. Springer, ISBN 0-387-97896-8.
- Rosenblatt, M. Random Processes Springer Verlag, ISBN 0-387-90085-3.
- Rosenblatt, M. Stationary Sequences and Random Fields Birkhauser, ISBN 0-8176-3264-6.
- Grenander Ulf, Rosenblatt M. Statistical Analysis of Stationary Time Series American Mathematical Society, ISBN 0-8284-0320-1.
- Rosenblatt, M. Stochastic Curve Estimation Institute of Mathematical Statistic, ISBN 0-940600-22-6.
- Rosenblatt, M. Studies in Probability Theory Mathematical Association of America, ISBN 0-88385-118-0.
- "Murray Rosenblatt: Professor Emeritus". University of California, San Diego. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "All Fellows - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation". Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "National Academy of Sciences: Rosenblatt, Murray". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Sun, T. C. (1997). "Murray Rosenblatt: His Contributions to Probability and Statistics". Journal of Theoretical Probability (Springer Netherlands) 10 (2): 279–286. ISSN 0894-9840. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- 2014 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-11-04.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|