Southern New South Wales
|Service type||Coach operator|
|Fleet||147 (November 2014)|
Murrays Coaches is an Australian express and coach charter company.
Murrays was founded by Bill Murray in the early 1950s as a school bus operator in Canberra. The operation was taken over by Ron Murray in 1970 by which time it was operating services to Captains Flat, Kowen Forest, Naas, Tidbinbilla, Uriarra and Williamsdale with 10 buses. Murrays were operating seven school buses when the services were taken over by Deane's Buslines in November 1997.
At some point Murrays diversified into coach operation, initially to the Snowy Mountains. By the mid-1980s Murrays were operating interstate services from Canberra to Sydney, Wollongong and Narooma. These services continue today.
In the May 1979, Murrays purchased Sydney bus routes 6 Arncliffe - Earlwood and 49 Carlton - Rockdale. These were sold in October 1982 to Brighton Bus Lines after the laws requiring tourist vehicle licences to be attached to route service operators were relaxed.
Murrays initial coach fleet was built up with ex Ansett Pioneer GMC PD4107s and Mercedes-Benz O302 and O303s. In the mid 1980s Murrays purchased a number of new Mercedes-Benz, Volvo and Austral coaches.
Following the collapse of Deluxe Coachlines and Sunliner Express amongst others, Murrays was able to renew its fleet with large numbers of near-new Austral, Denning and Scania coaches. In the mid-1990s it took delivery of 120 PMC Australia bodied MANs and Scanias.
Until the early 1990s Murrays, had a livery of three greens and black when a new livery of white with green signwriting was adopted.
- "Murray's Cease School Bus Runs" Fleetline July 1998 page 125
- Express Services Murrays
- "Deuce" Fleetline issue 186 January 1991 page 9
- "What Has Changed in 20 Years" Australian Bus Panorama issue 14/2 December 1998 page 8
- "Murrays Coaches" Australian Bus Panorama September 1989 page 36
- "Ownership changes" Fleetline July 1998 page 133
- "Shorelink" Australian Bus Panorama August 1998 page 48
- Murrays Coaches Australian Bus Fleet List
- Media related to Murrays at Wikimedia Commons