August 13, 1980
North York, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||Host, Writer, Journalist|
Murtz Jaffer (born August 13, 1980) is a Canadian celebrity journalist. He hosted the television show Reality Obsessed which aired on TVTropolis and the Global Reality Channel in Canada. He is the television editor of InsidePulse.com. Jaffer currently resides in Toronto, Canada.
Jaffer began his career at the age of 17 while still in high school. He e-mailed the online editor of The Sports Network's website repeatedly and eventually was given the opportunity to write for the newly-launched wrestling section of TSN.ca. After reporting for the site from 1997–1998, Jaffer wrote for a variety of wrestling websites before deciding to launch his own internet property in 2001.
In 2002, Jaffer launched Survivor-Central, an online resource about Survivor the popular reality television series just as he began studying at the University of Toronto. Featuring several writers from the show itself, Jaffer's site became one of only a handful of websites dedicated to the show that captured an audience of 52 million for its first series finale. In 2003, Jaffer and his team accurately began predicting and spoiling who would be voted off on the program before each episode aired on national television. The predictions were published on Survivor-Central in a crystal ball format. The accuracy of the predictions led to Jaffer developing a reputation as the world's foremost Survivor expert and subsequently, the world's foremost reality television expert.
In 2004, Jaffer merged Survivor-Central with InsidePulse.com, an entertainment website that currently features a staff of more than 200 writers.
Jaffer graduated from Centennial College's post-graduate journalism program in 2003 and moved on to spoiling every major television program currently on the air for both his website and on the radio. He has worked at Entertainment Tonight Canada, the Toronto Sun, Z103.5, Virgin Radio 99.9 and volunteered at CTV.ca. He has freelanced for the National Post and TV Guide Canada.
In 2007, he appeared in The New York Times for starting an anti-application Facebook group. His interview with actress Samaire Armstrong where he asked her why she posed for the Stuff male magazine, led to the magazine's parent website removing her pictures (after she claimed the pictures were a mistake). The photos were later posted back onto the site.
In 2008, Jaffer was recognized as one of Centennial College's Alumnus of Distinction award winners, becoming one of the award's youngest recipients.
Jaffer was the host of Reality Obsessed which aired on the TVTropolis network in Canada. The show was a behind-the-scenes look at reality television answering big-picture questions about the genre and the first season included appearances from many of Jaffer's reality star friends including Survivors Jonny Fairplay, Ozzy Lusth, Eliza Orlins, Rupert Boneham and Rob Mariano. The show won a Gemini Award for 'Best Direction In A Reality Series' for its 'Ultimate Casting Tape' first-season episode.
On Saturday April 9, 2011, Jaffer received the 'Special Achievement In Reality Reporting Award' at the Reality Rocks convention in Los Angeles.
- CANOE - JAM! Television - TV Shows - Survivor 9: Vanuatu: New 'Survivor' premieres Thursday
- Inside Pulse - Celebrating 2 years of pop culture!
- Have Facebook Applications Gone Too Far? - New York Times
- Prime Time Pulse: [NEWS] Murtz Jaffer's Interview With Samaire Armstrong Gets Photos 'Removed' From Maxim
- IMDB- Murtz Jaffer
- TVGuide.ca Canadian honoured for reality reporting
- Murtz Jaffer Appears On Dan For Mayor Season 2 Finale: Dan For Mayor Season 2 Behind-The-Scenes Exclusive Part 2
- YouTube - Murtz On Red Carpet At Sexiest Men and Women of Reality TV 2008 Calendar Launch Party
- Murtz Jaffer, InsidePulse.com Article archive
- Murtzcellanious: Murtz Jaffer talks to Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof
- Murtz LIVE At Bell Media / CTV TV Upfront 2011: Bell Media & CTV Announce New TV Schedule
- Murtz On The Scene: 2011 MuchMusic Video Awards Review - Gaga Dominates MMVA's
- Have Facebook applications gone too far? (New York Times)
- Murtz Jaffer's Interview With Samaire Armstrong Gets Photos 'Removed' From Maxim
- Samaire Armstrong removed from Maxim Mag photo-shoot
- Samaire Armstrong (Maxim.com)
- Even Better Than the Real Thing? (U of T Magazine)
- Murtz Jaffer's Television Show Reality Obsessed
- Inside Pulse
- May 24th 2011 – ActorsE Chat with Reality Show Expert Murtz Jaffer with Host Yi Tian on Actors Entertainment