|Key people||A. Vellayan (Executive Chairman)
|Products||Cycles, general insurance, Fertilizers, Abrasives, Automotive chains, Car door frames & Steel tubes|
|Revenue||US$ 4.1 billion (2014) (as on 31st March 2014)|
|Parent||Murugappa Holdings Limited, New Ambadi Estates Private Limited, Ambadi Enterprises Private Limited, EID Parry (India) Limited (Group Main Flagship Company)|
Founded in 1900, the Rs. 22500 crore  Murugappa Group is one of India's leading business conglomerates, founded, managed, and largely owned by the Murugappa family. The Group has 28 businesses including eleven listed Companies actively traded in NSE & BSE. Headquartered in Chennai, the major Companies of the Group include Carborundum Universal Ltd., Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Ltd., Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Ltd., Coromandel International Ltd., Coromandel Engineering Company Ltd., EID Parry (India) Ltd., Parry Agro Industries Ltd., Tube Investments of India Limited, and Wendt (India) Ltd.
Market leaders in several segments including Abrasives, Auto Components, Cycles, Sugar, Farm Inputs, Fertilizers, Plantations, Bioproducts and Nutraceuticals, the Group has forged strong alliances with leading international companies like Groupe chimique tunisien, Foskor, Cargill, Mitsui Sumitomo, Morgan Crucible and Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM). The Group has a wide geographical presence spanning 13 states in India and 5 continents across the globe.
Renowned brands like BSA, Hercules, Ballmaster, Ajax, Parry’s, Chola, Gromor and Paramfos are from the Murugappa stable. The organization fosters an environment of professionalism and has a workforce of over 32,000 employees.The company is sometimes referred to as "The TATA of South India", due to its very diversified products and business portfolio. It is known for its strong values and its focus on giving back to society.
- 1 History
- 2 Products Offerings
- 3 Board of Directors
- 4 Group Promoters Holding Organization
- 5 Group Companies
- 6 Murugappa Group's Community Initiatives
- 7 References
- 8 External links
1901 - 1910
- The foundation for this group was laid by Dewan Bahadur A M Murugappa Chettiar who established a money-lending and banking business in 1900.
- The business was first set up in Burma (now Myanmar) and then spread to Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Vietnam.
1921 - 1930
- In the 1930s the business was moved back to India to start all over again from the scratch.
1941 - 1950
- 1947: Established Coromandel Engineering Company Limited
- 1949: Established TI Cycles of India Limited (present day Tube Investments of India Limited) in association with Tube Investments Limited, UK(present dayTI Group)
1951 - 1960
- 1954: Carborundum Universal of Madras India Limited (present day Carborundum Universal Limited) was established in Madras, Tamil Nadu, as a tripartite collaboration between the Murugappa Group, The Carborundum Company Limited USA and the Universal Grinding Wheel Co. Limited, U.K
- 1955: Tube Investments of India Limited Established Tube Products of India Limited in association with Tube Products (Old Bury) Limited, UK
1961 - 1970
- 1965: Established TI Metal Forming
- 1968: Purchased Kadamane Estates
1971 - 1980
- 1978: Carborundum Universal Limited acquired Eastern Abrasives Limited
1981 - 1990
- Murugappa Group Took over EID Parry
- Murugappa Morgan Thermal Ceramics Limited is established as a JV between Morgan Thermal Ceramics division of Morgan Crucible Plc. UK and Carborundum Universal (CUMI) of Murugappa Group
- Murugappa Group established Polutech Limited in association with EPI( USA)
- 1990: Tube Investments of India Limited Acquired Press Metal
1991 - 2000
- The House of Khataus Group divested its share in Wendt (India) Limited (WIL) to Carborundum Universal Ltd (CUMI)
- Prodorite Anticorrosives Limited becomes a subsidiary of Carborundum Universal Limited
- TIDC India acquired Satavahana Chains
- EID Parry merged Murugappa Electronics Limited with itself as Murugappa Industrial & Technical Services [Division]
- January: EID Parry de-merged Murugappa Industrial & Technical Services as MEL Systems and Services Electronics Limited
- June: Carborundum Universal Limited acquired Sterling Abrasives Limited
- December: Murugappa Group exited from electronics business after EID Parry divested MEL Systems and Services Electronics Limited
- Tube Products of India acquired Steel Strips And Tubes Limited
- International Minerals and Chemical Corporation (IMC) divested its share in Coromandel International to EID Parry. Following this sale Coromandel Fertilisers Limited (present day Coromandel International) became a Group company.
- November: Murugappa Corporate Board formed.
2001 - 2010
- July: Government of Andhra Pradesh divested its share in Godavari Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited to Coromandel International
- November: Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) divested its share in Godavari Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited to Coromandel International. Thus Godavari Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited became a Murugappa Group Company
- December: Godavari Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited merged with Coromandel International
- 2006: Coromandel Fertilizer (present day Coromandel International) acquired Ficom Organics Limited
- 2008: Carborundum Universal Ltd (CUMI) acquired Foskor Zirconia (Pty) Limited
- 2009: Coromandel Fertilizer changed to its present name Coromandel International with new logo
- 2010: Tube Investments of India Limited acquired Sedis Chain France 
2011 - 2020
- January: Coromandel International Limited Acquires Liberty phosphates, India's leading single super phosphate producer
The Murugappa Group has diverse interests in engineering, precision tools, finance, agro products, and biotechnology. The Group's products are primarily divided into the following sectors 
- Agriculture and Farm Inputs (Fertilisers, Pesticides, Plantations, Sugar and Bio-Products, Nutraceuticals)
- Engineering (Tubes, Chains and Metal forms, Material Sciences)
- Consumer Durables (Bicycles, Fitness equipment)
- Services (Financial services, Insurance services, IT, Travel)
Board of Directors
Murugappa Group Corporate Board 
- A. Vellayan – Executive Chairman
- M M Murugappan – Vice Chairman
- N Srinivasan – Director, Finance
- Venkatraman Thygarajan – Non Executive External Director
- Deepak Satwalekar - Non Executive External Director
- Sridar Iyengar - Non Executive External Director
Group Promoters Holding Organization
- Murugappa Sons Limited
- Murugappa Holdings Limited
- New Ambadi Estates Private Limited
- Ambadi Enterprises Private Limited
- Dare Investments Limited
- A M M Arunachalam & Sons Private Limited
- A M M Vellayan & Sons Private Limited
- MM Muthiah & Sons Private Limited
- M A Murugappan Holdings Pvt Ltd.,
- AMM Foundation,
- Murugappa Educational and Medical Foundation,
- M M Muthiah Research Foundation
- AR Lakshmi Achi Trust
- M V Seetha Subbiah Benefit Trust,
- Valli Subbiah Benefit Trust,
- AR Lakshmi Achi Trust
- EID Parry
- Coromandel International Limited
- Carborundum Universal Limited(CUMI)
- Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Limited(CIFCL)
- Cholamandalam MS Risk Services Limited
- Parry Agro
- Net Access (India) Private Limited
- Ambadi Enterpriseses Limited
- Coromandel Engineering Company Limited
- Parry Murray & Company Limited
- Parry Enterprises India Limited(PEIL)
- Polutech Limited
- Parry Infrastructure Company (P) Limited
- Murugappa Morgan Thermal Ceramics Limited (MMTCL)
- Sterling Abrasives Limited
Murugappa Group's Community Initiatives
- Health Care
- Research and Development
- "Forbes India's Richest". 29 September 2010.
- "The Economist: A rare south Indian business house does things the difficult way". 1 June 2013.
- Raghunathan, Anuradha. "Forbes article on Murugappa Group".
- "Murugappa Group History".
- "Murugappa Group Product Offerings".
- "Murugappa Group Board of Directors".
- "Murugappa Group companies".