|Traded as||OTCQB: MSLP|
|Founded||Denver, Colorado, USA 2010|
|Founders||Bradley J. Pyatt
|Headquarters||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Key people||Bradley J. Pyatt
(Chairman of Board & CEO)
(President, Board of Directors)
(EVP Social Media & Brand)
(Chief Operating Officer)
(Chief Marketing Officer)
MusclePharm Corporation is an American nutritional supplement company founded in 2010 and headquartered in Denver, Colorado. MusclePharm is sold in over 120 countries and available in over 35,000 global retail outlets, including GNC, Walmart, Vitamin Shoppe, Walgreens, Costco, and Dick's Sporting Goods. Online retailers such as BodyBuilding.com, Amazon.com and Drugstore.com, also sell MusclePharm products.
- 1 History
- 2 Operations
- 3 Clinical studies
- 4 Community
- 5 Awards and recognition
- 6 Controversy
- 7 External links
- 8 References
MusclePharm Corporation was incorporated on August 4, 2006. On February 18, 2010, the company acquired Muscle Pharm, LLC, and as a result, MusclePharm became a wholly owned subsidiary.
In January 2014, MusclePharm acquired BioZone Pharmaceuticals, which included its facility in Richmond, California. This acquisition included BioZone's QuSomes, HyperSorb and EquaSome technologies, as well as various lines of products including the Arnold Schwarzenegger series in 2013. The acquisition was confirmed at the end of 2013.
MusclePharm Corp. announced plans to buy back $5 million of all common stock in December 2013. Repurchases under MusclePharm's new program will be made in open market or privately negotiated transactions in compliance with Rules 10b5-1 and 10b-18 under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, subject to market conditions, applicable legal requirements, and other relevant factors. This share repurchase plan does not obligate the Company to acquire any particular amount of common stock, and it may be suspended at any time at the Company's discretion.
In 2013 MusclePharm Corporation completed a $12 million registered direct offering of its Series D Convertible Preferred Stock. The Frost Group, LLC, headed by Miami entrepreneur, billionaire, Dr. Phillip Frost, was the lead investor in the offering and elected to increase its previously announced investment in the offering to a total of $2.9 million.
In September 2014, MusclePharm entered into a revolving credit facility with ANB Bank for $8 million.
As of July 2014, MusclePharm has nearly 12 million shares outstanding. Some of the largest shareholders include: Dr. Phillip Frost, Wynfield Capital, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and CEO & founder Bradley J Pyatt.
Since their launch in 2010, MusclePharm has partnered with several companies, which have contributed to their success.
MusclePharm certifies that all of their supplements are free of banned substances such as anabolic steroids. Every product and every batch from MusclePharm is tested and certified by Informed Choice before being sold in the market.
MusclePharm Hybrid series was launched in 2008 with key products Assault, Combat Protein, and launched MusclePharm Core Series in 2011. This series of products help reenergize athletes safely by with ingredients such as amino acids, glutamine, BCAA’s,CLA Core and fish oil.
In September 2013 the company partnered with Eurpac Sports Products to sell their new Arnold Schwarzenegger Series. Arnold Schwarzenegger made an appearance with MusclePharm at Muscle Beach in Los Angeles, California for the launch. The products include: Iron Whey, Iron Mass, Iron Pump, Iron Pack, Iron Stack, Iron Dream, and Iron Cre3.
In November 2013 MusclePharm teamed with Walgreens to create an innovative brand specifically made for women. As part of the deal, FitMiss was stocked in 7,000 Walgreens stores nationwide. The products include FitMiss Delight, FitMiss Tone, FitMiss Burn, and Ready-to-Drink FitMiss Delight.
In March 2014, Worldwide Apparel, LLC began a licensing agreement with MusclePharm Apparel.
In September 2014, MusclePharm launched CocoProtein Sports Drink at the Mr. Olympia 2014 Expo in Las Vegas. This product will begin going on sale in October 2014. MusclePharm also launched, Combat Crunch, a branded protein bar.
In 2010, former U.S. Assistant Surgeon General, Dr. Roscoe M. Moore, Jr., became the Chief Scientific Director at MusclePharm Corporation. Before MusclePharm, Dr. Moore worked with the FDA and United States Public Health Service.
The United States Sports Academy did a clinical trial on MusclePharm’s Assault and found that the product is effective in helping athletes gain strength, endurance, energy, and other healthy, important qualities to help them compete. The Nutrition Research Journal went on the record saying that Assault is safe and effective pre-workout for recreationally active men. The trial with the USSA completed in January 2012.
In 2013, the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) and MusclePharm teamed up to offer unrestricted educational grants for those interested in conducting product-specific randomized clinical trials. Up to $40,000 in funding was available for this initiative.
A 2014 study by Nutrition Journal, an international publication, published the results of a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical study, which demonstrated that MusclePharm's Amino1, a recovery and hydration supplement, enhanced rehydration more effectively than water and Gatorade.
"The study showed that consuming both the amino acids and the electrolytes which are in the Amino1 product enhanced rehydration compared to water or Gatorade. The latter primarily containing sugars and electrolytes," MusclePharm Research Director Dr. Jordan Moon said. "As anticipated, water, Gatorade and Amino1 all rehydrated the subjects. However, Amino1 allowed the subjects to rehydrate faster and more efficiently. In the near future, more clinical data will be available that will show the recovery benefits athletes receive when taking Amino1."
Other results in the study prove that the amino acids in Amino1 help muscles recover from exercise, as well as prevent muscle breakdown during exercise, making Amino1 an ideal product for athletes.
Some of the world’s top athletes from: MLB, NFL, UFC, MMA, USA Wrestling, PGA Tour and other sports professionals have endorsed MusclePharm’s efforts to provide the top sports nutrition products. Celebrities and other public figures have also vocalized their support of MusclePharm.
MusclePharm partnered with NFL San Francisco 49ers Super Bowl quarterback, Colin Kaepernick as a brand representative in 2013. Kaepernick's advertisements appeared on several radio, television, and social media channels.
In March 2014, MusclePharm signed a deal with USA Wrestling, the national governing body for wrestling in the United States, as its exclusive official nutrition supplement provider. This endorsement debuted at the 2014 World Cup of Freestyle Wrestling in March 2014.
In August 2014, NFL first-round draft pick Johnny Manziel became an endorser for MusclePharm.
Some of their brand ambassadors include:
Mixed Martial Arts
- Anderson Silva
- Jon Jones
- Clay Guida
- Benson Henderson
- Lyoto Machida (MMA & UFC fighter; former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion)
- Donald Cerrone
- Jake Shields 
- Patrick Barry
- Cheick Kongo
- Rashad Evans
- Frankie Edgar
- Michael Bisping
- Jose Aldo
- Ahmed El-Deeb
- Anthony Pettis
- Urijah Faber
- Dominick Cruz
- Carlos Condit
- Tyron Woodley
- Matt Brown
- Jake Ellenberger
- Junior dos Santos
- Travis Browne
- Phil Davis
- Jim Miller
- Edson Barboza
- Jeremy Stevens
- Cub Swanson
Fitness and bodybuilding
Awards and recognition
MusclePharm has been nominated for and received several highly esteemed awards in the sports nutrition industry.
In 2009, they won New Brand of the Year from BodyBuilding.com. Bodybuilding.com is an American online retailer of over 9,900 sports supplements and nutritional products.
In 2011, MusclePharm was nominated for fourteen supplement awards from BodyBuilding.com. They won Breakout Brand of the Year, New Supplement of the Year for their product, Assault, and Best Packaging of the Year.
In 2011, MusclePharm was named No. 1 Supplement Brand by Stck3d. Rankings were based on "quality, price, results, availability and overall greatness," according to the website.
In 2012, they won Brand of the Year, Pre-Workout of the Year, and Packaging of the Year from BodyBuilding.com. They were nominated for 18 awards from them that year.
In 2012, Muscle Insider, Canada’s top bodybuilding magazine, nominated MusclePharm for Brand of the Year, Fat Burner of the Year (Shred Matrix), Pre-Workout Supplement of the Year (Assault), and Best Tasting Pre-Workout Supplement of the Year (Assault) Canadian Supplement Awards, where fans decide what are the top supplements in Canada.
In 2013, MusclePharm received the Top Vendor award from GNC.
In 2013 MusclePharm's Assault was named the best pre-workout product by fitness magazine Premio Revista Suplementacao. The magazine also named MusclePharm as the best supplement brand. MusclePharm Assault was also the recipient of a Top 30 Award from Corpo Perfeito, the largest online provider of nutritional supplements in Brazil.
Corpo Perfeito also honored the company for its sales performance.
MusclePharm has faced several legal issues related to its stock and intellectual property infringement.
In May 2012, Marina Ventures sought to force MusclePharm's sale of 21 million shares of common stock. Inter-Mountain Capital sued MusclePharm for alleged failure to sell, seeking damages of $4 million. In the same month, John's Lone Star Distribution alleged in a suit that MusclePharm entered into illegal price discrimination contracts with a Lone Star competitor with the intention of removing Lone Star from the market.
In 2011, Environmental Research Center (ERC) filed a notice of intent to start litigation against over 200 nutrition and supplement companies, including MusclePharm, alleging violations of California Proposition 65. In February 2012, ThermoLife claimed in a lawsuit that MusclePharm infringed ThermoLife's patent on amino acid compounds including creatine nitrate.
In September 2011, it was reported that MusclePharm's executive vice president, Leonard Armenta, had resigned after accusations from the MMA fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson that there was a spy in his camp in the lead up to UFC 135. Jackson accused his opponent Jon Jones of having a spy at his training camp in Denver, Colorado, in the buildup to the bout. In an interview with ESPN's SportsCenter, Jackson said MusclePharm released an employee named "Leonard" and accused him of acting as a spy for Jones.
In March 2012, NSF International notified the public that a MusclePharm product improperly bore the "NSF Certified for Sport" mark. In December 2013, NSF launched a lawsuit against MusclePharm and declared that MusclePharm is not authorized to use any NSF certification marks, to claim that any of its products are certified by NSF or to claim that they have been manufactured in an NSF GMP certified or registered facility.
In October 2012, MusclePharm discontinued use of BEAST Sports' trademarks including "Beast" and "Beast Mode" after MusclePharm’s unauthorized use.
- MusclePharm Homepage
- MusclePharm Corporation Homepage
- MusclePharm Facebook Page
- MusclePharm Twitter Profile
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Homepage
- FitMiss Homepage
- MusclePharm Strengthens Retail Presence With GNC at Yahoo! Finance; published June 24, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Adds Dick's Sporting Goods To Its Growing Retail Distribution at HeraldOnline.com; published August 28, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Company Info at Reuters.com; published February 9, 2009; retrieved August 15, 2012
- MusclePharm to acquire BioZone Pharmaceuticals, bring faster absorption of nutrition products at InnovatioNews; by InnovatioNews; published November 14, 2013; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Announces New $5 Million Share Repurchase Program at The Wall Street Journal; published December 10, 2013; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Completes $12 Million Offering of Series D Convertible Stock at Yahoo! Finance; published February 5, 2013; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Closes $4.1m Offering at Reuters PE Hub; published January 29, 2013; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Enters Into $8MM Credit Facility With ANB Bank at ALB Advisors; published September 18, 2014; retrieved October 15, 2014
- UNITED STATESSECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION at SEC.gov; published 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- "MusclePharm Corp raises FY 2014 revenue outlook; lowers FY 2014 EPS outlook". Retrieved 1 July 2014.
-  at Informed Choice; published 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- "MMA Elite Supplements Powered by MusclePharm Now Available at Wal-Mart". PR Newswire. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Johnsen, Michael. "MusclePharm launches MMA Elite supplement line at Walmart". Drug Store News. Michael Johnsen. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "MusclePharm: A Fast Growing Sports Nutrition Company". Seeking Alpha. Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- MusclePharm Signs Agreement with Eurpac, Worldwide Distributor to U.S. Armed Forces; published March 27, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Arnold Teams With Musclepharm To Develop The ARNOLD SERIES Line of Nutritional Supplements at Arnold Schwarzenegger Homepage; published July 30, 2013; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Launches CocoProtein(TM) Sports Drink at Mr. Olympia Expo at CNN Money; published September 19, 2014; retrieved October 15, 2014
- MusclePharm Launches Its Newest Innovation: Combat Crunch Protein Bar at Market Watch; published September 2, 2014; retrieved October 15, 2014
- MusclePharm Adds Former U.S. Assistant Surgeon General to Its Team as Chief Scientific Director at Business Wire; published August 2, 2010, retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm: ‘We made an intentional decision to stay away from DMAA’ at NutraIngredients-USA.com; by Elaine Watson; published May 4, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- United States Sports Academy Researchers Present Clinical Trial Results For MusclePharms' Assault™ Pre-Workout Nutritional Supplement At National Strength & Conditioning Association's National Conference at The Business Journal; published August 1, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Clinical Study of MusclePharm's Award Winning Pre-Workout Supplement Assault(TM) Published in Nutrition Research Journal at Bloomberg Businessweek; published April 28, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Academy Studies Performance of Athletes Using New Supplement at US Sports Academy; published October 19, 2011; retrieved August 8, 2014
- ACADEMY COMPLETES RESEARCH ON TOP-SELLING PRE-WORKOUT SUPPLEMENT at TheSportsDigest.com; by Jordan Moon; published January 10, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- ISSN MusclePharm Grant Application at International Society of Sports Nutrition; published 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Clinical Research Study in Nutrition Journal Demonstrates That MusclePharm(R) Amino1(TM) Rehydrates Faster Than Water and Gatorade(R) at MarketWatch.com; published July 9, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Announces Deal With NFL Super Bowl Quarterback Colin Kaepernick at Yahoo! Finance; published March 21, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- USA Wrestling names MusclePharm as its exclusive official nutritional supplement provider at USA Wrestling; published March 5, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Tiger Woods signs bag endorsement with MusclePharm at Associated Press; published June 18, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- PRNewsWire. "MusclePharm Inks Deal With NFL Superstar, 49er All-Pro Patrick Willis". Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- StockMarketWatch. "MSLP is our New Research Report! Details Inside!". Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- GolfChannelDigital. "Woods signs new bag deal with MusclePharm". Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Xempt Partnership". Golfbusinesswire.com. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "UFC and MusclePharm Ink New Deal". Ufc.com. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- GlobeNewsWire. "MusclePharm(R) to Sponsor MMA Champion Anderson Silva at UFC 126 Main Event". Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- GlobeNewsWire. "MusclePharm to Sponsor MMA Star Lyoto Machida at UFC 123 Main Event". Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- GlobeNewsWire. "MusclePharm to Sponsor MMA Star Jake Shields at UFC 121 Co-Main Event". Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- PR.com. "VFD Sports Announces MusclePharm Sponsorship Deal for Pat Barry". Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "MusclePharm Signs Rookie Bryce Harper". Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- GlobeNewsWire. ""The World's Most Ripped Fitness Model - Obi Obadike" Signs Endorsement Contract with MusclePharm". Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- Sports Nutrition Retail Mogul Jeremy Deluca Signs as MusclePharm President and Chief Marketing Officer; published May 26, 2011; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Former President of Bodybuilding.com Joins MusclePharm at Bodybuilding SA; published June 14, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- BusinessWire (6 March 2011). "MusclePharm Nominated for Five 2010 Bodybuilding.com Supplement Awards, Part II". Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- GlobalNewsWire (5 October 2010). "MusclePharm Recognized as Supplement Company of the Month by Bodybuilding.com, Part II". Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- PR NewsWire (25 July 2011). "MusclePharm Nominated for 14 Bodybuilding.com Supplement Awards". Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- MusclePharm Named No. 1 Supplement Brand In 2011 By Top Supplement Website at The Business Journals; published January 9, 2012; retrieved August 8, 2014
- Bluher, John. "MusclePharm Nominated For 18 Bodybuilding.com Supplement Awards". PR Newswire. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- MusclePharm Nominated for 4 Canadian Supplement Awards; published December 14, 2011; retrieved August 8, 2014
- MusclePharm Receives Accolades in Brazil; published May 13, 2014; retrieved August 8, 2014
- USA Today: 'Rampage' Jackson names alleged spy
- 'Rampage' Jackson Outs Spy Just Hours Before UFC 135
- http://www.nsfsport.com/mp_public_notice.pdf NSF Public Notice
- NSF International, a Michigan Not-for-Profit Corporation v. Musclepharm Corporation, a Nevada Corporation
- Certification Enforcement Actions
- The Tawnsaura Group, LLC v. Musclepharm Corporation
- MusclePharm Taps Out as Beast Sports Nutrition Prevails in Trademark Infringement Suit