Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
|Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen|
The south side of the museum in 2007
|Established||3 July 1849|
Ranked 14th nationally (2013)
Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen (Dutch pronunciation: [myˈzeːjʏm bɔjmɑns vɑn bøːnɪŋən]) is an art museum in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. It is located at the Museumpark in the district Rotterdam Centrum, close to the Kunsthal and the Natural History Museum.
The museum opened in 1849. It houses the collections of Frans Jacob Otto Boijmans (1767–1847) and Daniël George van Beuningen (1877–1955). In the collection, ranging from medieval to contemporary art, are works of Rembrandt, Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh, and Salvador Dalí.
In 2013, the museum had 292,711 visitors and was the 14th most visited museum in the Netherlands.
The collection of businessman Daniël George van Beuningen (1877–1955) was added in 1958, at which point the museum acquired the name Museum Boymans-van Beuningen. The spelling was changed to Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in 1996.
The museum has a diverse collection ranging from medieval to contemporary art, with somewhat of a focus on Dutch art. Much of the collection came to the museum through the two private collections mentioned above, but many others have contributed throughout the years.
Among the best-known artists that are exhibited in the permanent exhibition of the museum are Hieronymus Bosch, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Rembrandt, Claude Monet, Wassily Kandinsky, Vincent van Gogh, Maurizio Cattelan, Paul Cézanne, René Magritte, Salvador Dalí, Mark Rothko, Edvard Munch and Willem de Kooning.
The collection also includes one of the richest assembly of works on paper (etchings, drawings, lithographs, etc.) in the world from the Middle Ages to the present times.
- The Glorification of the Virgin (c. 1490–95) by Geertgen tot Sint Jans
- The Wayfarer (c. 1500) by Hieronymus Bosch
- Nest of Owls (c. 1510) by Hieronymus Bosch
- The "Little" Tower of Babel (c. 1563) by Pieter Bruegel the Elder
- Titus at his Desk (1655) by Rembrandt
- Hut of the Douaniers with Varengeville (1882) Claude Monet
- Portrait of Armand Roulin (1888) by Vincent van Gogh
- On the Threshold of Liberty (1929) by René Magritte
- Not to be Reproduced (1937) René Magritte
- Impressions of Africa (1938) Salvador Dalí
- Shirley Temple, The Youngest, Most Sacred Monster of the Cinema in Her Time (1939) Salvador Dalí
- The Face of War (1940) Salvador Dalí
The Education Department of the Museum organises children's activities, courses, lectures and tours.
ARTtube is a website with videos about art and design. ARTtube is produced by Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, M HKA Antwerp, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, De Pont, Centraal Museum Utrecht, Museum Jan Cunen and Centrum Beeldende Kunst Rotterdam.
Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen produces, together with TV Rijnmond, a television series on art. Boijmans TV is based on an idea by Wilfried de Jong. Boijmans TV is created by a team of creative specialists in different disciplines. It is more than an art magazine; apart from the artists, the museum visitor, the attendant and the employee of technical services appear on the series. Each episode of Boijmans TV can be viewed on ArtTube after it has been broadcast.
- (Dutch) Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Stadsarchief Rotterdam. Retrieved on 5 August 2014.
- Jaarverslag 2013, Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, 2014. Retrieved on 28 June 2014.
- (Dutch) Henny de Lange, "Het charme-offensief van Sjarel Ex werkt", Trouw. Retrieved on 5 August 2014.
- (Dutch) Daan van Lent & Pieter van Os, "Musea doen het goed: aantal bezoekers in 2013 fors gestegen", NRC Handelsblad, 2013. Retrieved on 5 August 2014.
|Dutch Rijksmonument 513878|