|Founders||Ronald H. Gertz, Esq.|
|Headquarters||Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Key people||Ronald H. Gertz
Douglas J. Brainin
William B. Colitre
Kate J. Cross
Licensing and Administration
Music Reports is an American company that serves organizations seeking expertise and solutions in music rights licensing, administration, and royalty accounting. It was founded in 1995.
Music Reports was established to enable broadcasters seeking to reduce music licensing costs. Music Reports developed a per program license and administration service to collect and process television station schedules and revenues, and to automate report preparation and submission. Pursuant to the signing of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in 1998, Music Reports initiated a program of copyright licensing for digital music services. In doing so, the company played a significant role in the development of digital media and content rights.
Overview of current services
Founded in 1995, Music Reports provides services in the following areas:
- Administration of American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, Broadcast Music Incorporated and SESAC per program licenses for television broadcasters.
- Synchronization, master and performing rights licensing for broadcasters, film and television producers, and cable programming services.
- Enterprise-level licensing and royalty accounting services for digital media services, mobile device and carrier clients and content owners
- Copyright research and licensing for consumer products companies.
- Strategic consulting services covering both the acquisition of content and content usage rights.
Music Reports has compiled and maintains SONGDEX, a proprietary database of over 12 million music copyrights. Music Reports currently serves as a per program license administrator for local television stations in the United States owned by ABC, CBS and NBC. The company undertakes music rights clearances, licensing and accounting for digital and background music services such as MySpace. Music Reports provides copyright research, licensing and strategic consulting expertise to established and emerging content and technology businesses such as HSN, as well as American Greetings and other consumer products companies.
- Future of Music Article: Will Artists Lose Royalties From Satellite Radio? August 11, 2011
- Billboard Biz Article: Sirius XM Attempting to License Directly From Labels August 11, 2011
- Digital Music News Article: SoundExchange's Biggest Competitor Just Got Audited. And They're Clean... December 2, 2011
- Billboard Biz Article: Publishing Briefs September 16, 2009
- Billboard Biz Article: Court Declines to Rule on CRB July 10,2009
- Billboard Biz Article: Federal Appeals Court Considers Motion Against CRB Judges March 19, 2009