Music for Relief
Music for Relief is a charity founded by the band Linkin Park. The goal is to provide relief to victims of natural disasters and to bring awareness to global warming.
Music For Relief is a 501(c)(3) Charitable organization dedicated to providing aid to victims of natural disasters and the prevention of such disasters. Since its inception in 2005, Music for Relief has raised over $5 million for the victims of:
- 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and partnering with Hollywood for Habitat for Humanity to provide homes for those affected by the storm.
- California wildfires of October 2007
- Cyclone Sidr in Bangladesh
- 2010 Haiti earthquake
- 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
- Hurricane Sandy
- Typhoon Haiyan
Music For Relief has organized two benefit concerts featuring multi-platinum artists and celebrity guests. The first show took place on January 17, 2005 and included Tenacious D (who also helped organize the event), Beck, Will Ferrell, Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and Eddie Vedder. The second show took place on February 15, 2005 at Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California, and included Story of the Year, The Crystal Method, Linkin Park, Camp Freddy, No Doubt, and Jurassic 5. The show was supposed to include blink-182 but they cancelled due to their indefinite hiatus.
On January 19, 2010, Linkin Park released a new song entitled "Not Alone" as part of a compilation from Music For Relief called Download to Donate for Haiti in support of the Haiti earthquake crisis. The compilation consists of numerous songs given to the program by numerous artists, and people are encourage to make a donation to Music For Relief or download the songs, in which the money goes to Music For Relief. On February 10, 2010, Linkin Park released the official music video for the song on their homepage.
On January 11, 2011, an updated version of Download to Donate for Haiti was launched, called Download to Donate for Haiti V2.0, with more songs to download. On March 12, 2011, Music For Relief took part in helping the victims of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami disasters, releasing another Download to Donate compilation, Download to Donate: Tsunami Relief. Linkin Park lead vocalist and co-founder Mike Shinoda designed two t-shirts, in which the proceeds will go to Music For Relief. Linkin Park vocalist Chester Bennington teamed up with local California snowboard factory Signal Snowboards to produce a snowboard made out of Linkin Park vinyl records to raise money to aid victims in Japan. Linkin Park also composed a new instrumental piece titled "Issho Ni" for the Tsunami Relief album.
In November 8, 2011, the band was awarded with a Global Leadership Award at the Global Leadership Awards Dinner of the United Nations Foundation and the United Nations Association of the United States of America, for their efforts to highlight the importance of the UN and for utilizing their fan base to help those in need through Music For Relief. The band also announced their "Power the World" campaign. "Power the World" encourages their fans to donate in order to give one million families in Haiti solar-powered lights, since the country still faces severe energy poverty. The project supports the Sustainable Energy For All initiative of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. The band released several YouTube videos to promote the campaign.
During the band annual Projekt Revolution tour in 2004, they said that every $5 off of ticket bought will go to the victims that suffer from Hurricane Katrina.
Music For Relief made a donation of $50,000 to Santa Barbara-based Direct Relief International, which was matched by SanDisk for a total of $100,000 for the October 2007 California wildfires relief effort.
On July 24, 2008, Major League Baseball presented Linkin Park bassist Dave Farrell and vocalist Mike Shinoda with a $25,000 donation to the organization.
Download to Donate for Haiti has raised around $270,000 with 115,000 downloads. Download to Donate for Haiti V2.0 so far has raised around $23, 000.
- 9.0 Earthquake Strikes Japan Music For Relief
- Mike Shinoda (22 March 2011). "Download To Donate For Japan: Give to Charity, Get Music.". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- T-SHIRTS DESIGNED BY MIKE SHINODA TO BENEFIT TSUNAMI RELIEF
- Gil Kaufman (14 March 2011). "Lady Gaga, Linkin Park Urge Fans To Help Japan Earthquake Victims". MTV. MTV.com. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Builds A Custom Snowboard for Music for Relief
- Linkin Park (10 November 2011). "Linkin Park Accepts Global Leadership Award". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Linkin Park (8 November 2011). "POWER THE WORLD". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Linkin Park (8 November 2011). "Power The World (video)". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Linkin Park (2 November 2011). "Give Light". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Linkin Park (19 November 2011). "Power The World This Holiday Season". linkinpark.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- American Forests: Partners Music For Relief
- American Forests: Partners - LP Underground 7
- Music: Linkin Park's hybrid theories
- Linkin Park announces Projekt Revolution lineup
- About Download to Donate: Tsunami Relief