Musselshell County, Montana
|Musselshell County, Montana|
The Musselshell County Courthouse in Roundup
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,871 sq mi (4,846 km2)|
|• Land||1,867 sq mi (4,836 km2)|
|• Water||4 sq mi (10 km2), 0.20%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,871 square miles (4,850 km2), of which, 1,867 square miles (4,840 km2) of it is land and 4 square miles (10 km2) (0.20%) of it is water.
- Fergus County, Montana - northwest
- Petroleum County, Montana - north
- Rosebud County, Montana - east
- Yellowstone County, Montana - south
- Golden Valley County, Montana - west
||Fergus County||Petroleum County|
|Golden Valley County||Rosebud County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there are 4,497 people, 1,878 households, and 1,235 families residing in the county. The population density is 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There are 2,317 housing units at an average density of <1/km² (1/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county is 96.91% White, 0.07% Black or African American, 1.27% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. 1.60% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. 26.6% were of German, 14.8% English, 8.4% Norwegian, 8.1% Irish and 7.4% American ancestry according to Census 2000. 96.5% spoke English and 2.6% German as their first language.
There are 1,878 households out of which 27.20% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.60% are married couples living together, 6.60% have a female householder with no husband present, and 34.20% are non-families. 30.10% of all households are made up of individuals and 13.80% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.33, and the average family size is 2.91.
In the county the population is spread out with 23.40% under the age of 18, 5.70% from 18 to 24, 24.00% from 25 to 44, 29.40% from 45 to 64, and 17.50% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 43 years. For every 100 females there are 95.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 95.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $25,527, and the median income for a family is $32,298. Males have a median income of $25,000 versus $17,813 for females. The per capita income for the county is $15,389. 19.90% of the population and 13.00% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 31.70% of those under the age of 18 and 10.50% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- List of cemeteries in Musselshell County, Montana
- List of lakes in Musselshell County, Montana
- List of mountains in Musselshell County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.