|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Motto||Vision of Education|
|Type||Public & Military|
|Location||Mu'tah, Karak Governorate|
|Website||Mu'tah University Website|
Mu'tah University is divided into the following 12 main faculties:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Shari'a (Islamic Studies)
- Faculty of Sport Sciences
Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine of Mu'tah University was founded in 2001; in accordance with the vision of His Majesty King Abdullah II Bin Al-Hussein of the need of the Kingdom to have more doctors and to have a medical school in the southern part of the country. The number of students enrolled at this medical school has increased tremendously over the last 9 years; the number admitted in the academic year 2001/2002 was 27 students while in the academic year 2009/2010 the number was 185. The faculty awards its graduates a Bachelor's degree in Medicine and Surgery M.B.B.S after completing a minimum of 262 credit hours. These include 31 credit hours of university requirements, 10 credit hours of basic scientific requirements, 86 credit hours of basic medical science requirements, and 135 credit hours of medical science requirements. The faculty staff members represent highly distinguished and prominent academicians, dedicated to the teaching process, research and health care. The University of Mu'tah signed an agreement with the Jordanian Ministry of Health for the purpose of organizing contacts between the University and the Ministry, and to make Karak government hospital the main training site for the students of the faculty of Medicine. The University also signed an agreement with the Royal Medical Services Administration to make Prince Ali Military Hospital a teaching hospital in addition to other Royal Medical Services Hospitals, including King Hussien Medical Centre. The faculty also offers research programmes and postgraduate medical education. The primary mission of the Faculty of Medicine is to support the healthcare infrastructure in the Southern region of the Kingdom and national contribution in formation of highly competitive physicians at the national and international level to afford the different postgraduate training programs. The medical school is quite advanced in its facilities, it includes an entire department dedicated to plastination, for anatomy teaching, which is a pioneer project in our country and it will be an integral part in the teaching process of anatomy laboratories. Video conferencing is also used, eminent experts from around the world give lectures via the university's live video and audio communication facilities ME-RSLD. The teaching plan for obtaining the Bachelor degree in Medicine and Surgery in Mu'tah University is distinguishable in its emphasis on community medicine and public health, as well as its concern with the other medical sciences. The teaching system at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Mu'tah, is centered on the modern method implemented by other world universities, namely an integrated modular teaching of the different systems of the human body. The graduation with the Bachelor degree in Medicine & Surgery demands the regularly attending student to complete all the requirements of the teaching plan as mentioned before; the cumulative average should not be less than 60%. This plan is applied for a minimum period of six academic years, extending to 8 years as a maximum.
In the field of postgraduate studies, the University established a Ph.D. program in Arabic language and literature in addition to various master programs in Sciences, literature and Languages, Economics and Management, Geography, Electrical Engineering (Communications), Education, Law and Police Studies. There are also plans for establishing other programs to keep up with contemporary changes in science, technology and education. The University also runs successful evening studies programs. The evening studies program has been established with the aim of serving employees in the local community and in Jordan as a whole to continue their education. In addition, the University offers Parallel Studies Programs in many fields of studies.
Mu'tah University issues three journals:
- Humanities and Social Sciences Series The journal publishes original scientific works in natural and applied sciences, it is published by the Deanship of Academic Research and is indexed and refereed journal. A volume is published annually, ISSN: 1021-6804.
- Natural and Applied Sciences Series An annual journal that publishes original works in humanities and social sciences, published by Dar Mu’tah University Press. ISSN: 1022-6804.
- Jordan Journal of Arabic Language and Literature (Arabic: المجلة الأردنية في اللغة العربية وآدابها) An international journal published in Arabic by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in cooperation with Mu'tah University. Articles in languages other than Arabic are occasionally accepted for publication.
- "Humanities and Social Sciences Series". Mutah.edu.jo. 2010-03-07. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "Natural and Applied Sciences Series". Mutah.edu.jo. 2010-03-07. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "Jordan Journal of Arabic Language and Literature". Mutah.edu.jo. 2010-03-07. Retrieved 2012-05-14.