|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project|
|Initial release||April 2011|
|Stable release||3.14.1 (October 15, 2014[±])|
|Preview release||3.13.92 (September 19, 2014[±])|
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD, others|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Mutter is a window manager for the X Window System, and is in the process of becoming a Wayland compositor; it became the default window manager in GNOME 3, replacing Metacity. While Metacity uses GTK+ for rendering, Mutter uses a graphics library called Clutter, and also supports OpenGL through Clutter.
The Mutter window manager can function as standalone window manager application for GNOME-like desktops, and serves as the primary window manager for the GNOME Shell desktop, which is an integral part of GNOME 3. Mutter is extensible with plugins and supports numerous visual effects.
The name Mutter is a portmanteau of Metacity Clutter.
The seat now announces invariably the WL_SEAT_CAPABILITY_TOUCH capability, this should be eventually updated as devices come and go.
The creation of MetaWaylandTouchSurface structs is dynamic, attached to the lifetime of first/last touch on the client surface, and only if the surface requests the wl_touch interface. MetaWaylandTouchInfo structs are created to track individual touches, and are locked to a single MetaWaylandTouchSurface (the implicit grab surface) determined on CLUTTER_TOUCH_BEGIN.
GNOME Shell is partly written as a plugin to Mutter. Maybe as a result of that fact, some desktop environment have forked Mutter.
Muffin is the fork by the Cinnamon desktop environment and Cinnamon shell, the fork of GNOME Shell is written as a plugin for it.
Gala Window Manager
- "GNOME Shell 3.14.1". GNOME mailing list. October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Jardón, Javier (September 19, 2014). "GNOME 3.13.92". gnome-devel-announce mailing list. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2014-September/msg00005.html. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Debian Mutter Package in sid".
- Vervloesem, Koen (2009-08-04). "Mutter: a window manager for GNOME 3". LWN.net. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Kissling, Kristian (2009-07-08). "Mutter: Window Manager in GNOME's Future". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "wayland: Add basic hidpi support". 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "mutter 3.13.2 release notes". 2014-05-27.
- "wayland: Implement the server side bits of wl_touch_interface". 2014-06-04.
- "mutter 3.13.3 release notes". 2014-06-24.
- "Bug 724442 - Touchscreen does not work".
- Larabel, Michael (2010-06-21). "Mutter Can Cause A Gaming/OpenGL Performance Hit Too". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Larabel, Michael (2010-05-21). "The Cost Of Running Compiz". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Meet Gala: The Window Manager".
|This GNOME-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|