|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project|
|Initial release||April 2011|
|Stable release||3.14.2 (November 13, 2014[±])|
|Preview release||3.15.1 (October 30, 2014[±])|
|Operating system||GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, others|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Mutter is a window manager for the X Window System, and is in the process of becoming a Wayland compositor; it became the default window manager in GNOME 3, replacing Metacity. While Metacity uses GTK+ for rendering, Mutter uses a graphics library called Clutter, and also supports OpenGL through Clutter.
The Mutter window manager can function as standalone window manager application for GNOME-like desktops, and serves as the primary window manager for the GNOME Shell desktop, which is an integral part of GNOME 3. Mutter is extensible with plugins and supports numerous visual effects. GNOME Shell is written as a plugin to Mutter. Gala, a core component of the Pantheon desktop environment, is built using libmutter. budgie-wm, the window manager used in the Budgie desktop environment, is another window manager built on libmutter.
The name Mutter is a portmanteau of Metacity Clutter.
The seat now announces invariably the WL_SEAT_CAPABILITY_TOUCH capability, this should be eventually updated as devices come and go.[clarification needed]
The creation of MetaWaylandTouchSurface structs is dynamic, attached to the lifetime of first/last touch on the client surface, and only if the surface requests the wl_touch interface. MetaWaylandTouchInfo structs are created to track individual touches, and are locked to a single MetaWaylandTouchSurface (the implicit grab surface) determined on CLUTTER_TOUCH_BEGIN.[clarification needed]
Muffin is a fork of Mutter by the Linux Mint team for their Cinnamon desktop environment. Cinnamon's shell, a fork of GNOME Shell, is written as a plugin for Muffin.
- "GNOME 3.14.2 is out". GNOME mailing list. November 13, 2014. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Clasen, Matthias (October 30, 2014). "GNOME 3.15.1". gnome-devel-announce mailing list. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2014-October/msg00042.html. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- "Debian Mutter Package in sid".
- Vervloesem, Koen (2009-08-04). "Mutter: a window manager for GNOME 3". LWN.net. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Kissling, Kristian (2009-07-08). "Mutter: Window Manager in GNOME's Future". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "Meet Gala: The Window Manager".
- "5 Myths About elementary".
- "wayland: Add basic hidpi support". 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "mutter 3.13.2 release notes". 2014-05-27.
- "wayland: Implement the server side bits of wl_touch_interface". 2014-06-04.
- "mutter 3.13.3 release notes". 2014-06-24.
- "Bug 724442 - Touchscreen does not work".
- Larabel, Michael (2010-06-21). "Mutter Can Cause A Gaming/OpenGL Performance Hit Too". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Larabel, Michael (2010-05-21). "The Cost Of Running Compiz". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
|This GNOME-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|