Muttukadu boat house
Muttukadu boat house (Tamil: முட்டுக்காடு படகுக் குழாம்) is a water sport facility on the East Coast Road at Muttukadu, Chennai, India, offering rowing, wind surfing, water skiing, and speedboat riding. It is a backwater area of the Bay of Bengal located 36 km from the city centre and 23 km from Adyar on the way to Mamallapuram. The boat house was inaugurated in 1984 and has 15 row boats, 27 speedboats and 9 pedal boats, besides two high-speed aqua scooters. The water depth varies between 3 ft and 6 ft. It is owned and operated by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation (TTDC). The boating spot receives more than 4,000 visitors every weekend.
In July 2009, TTDC inaugurated a new bamboo boathouse and a floating boat jetty at the Muttukadu boating facility. The boathouse, with a special roof made of bamboo, has a lounge, from where visitors can watch the boats, and a restaurant. The building has been constructed at a cost of ₹ 8.7 million and the floating jetty at a cost of ₹ 1.2 million. A couple of high-speed aqua scooters with a seating capacity of three was also introduced at a cost of ₹ 1.35 million, which has received good patronage. The scooters can sail at an average speed of 120 km/hour.
The boat house has a multi-cuisine restaurant named "Surf", a unit of Coral.
The TTDC is planning to introduce sailing near the boating facility as a private-public partnership venture. The Tamil Nadu Tourism Department is also planning to develop the boat house, along with Mudaliarkuppam boat house and Mamallapuram, using funds from Asian Development Bank.
In 2008, the TTDC was in process of upgrading facilities at the boat house at the cost of ₹ 8 million. It would include a new floating jetty and extension of the boat house.
In 2008, TTDC conducted a boat race in Muttukadu, in association with the Madras Boat Club.
- "New boathouse goes on stream at Muttukadu". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 19 July 2009. Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- Kumar, J. V. Siva Prasanna (25 March 2013). "Luring adventurers with water scooters". The Deccan Chronicle (Chennai: The Deccan Chronicle). Retrieved 22 Dec 2013.
- Anand, N. (22 July 2009). "High-speed aqua scooter is the latest attraction at Muttukadu Boat House". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- Ayyappan, V. (6 September 2009). "TTDC to soon introduce sailing near Muttukadu". The Times of India (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- "Adventure tourism complex at Mamallapuram". The New Indian Express (Chennai: The New Indian Express). 1 September 2009. Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- Aishwarya, S.; N. Anand (27 July 2009). "Dotted with theme parks and boat houses, ECR beckons adventure lovers". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- "Water scooter ride launched at Muttukadu Boat House". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 1 September 2009. Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- "Tourism boost: ECR getaways set for facelift". The Times of India epaper (Chennai: The Times Group). 13 January 2012. Retrieved 15 Jan 2012.
- "'Banana Boats' introduced at Mudaliarkuppam to woo tourists". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 15 August 2008. Retrieved 21 Jan 2012.