Mutual exchange

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The term mutual exchange describes the ability of two (or more) tenants in the public housing sector in the UK to move house by swapping their homes.[1] Other terms used for this are "homeswap" or "homeswap".

Mutual exchange process[edit]

To move home, both tenants must have permission of their landlords. Landlords will normally only grant an exchange if a number of criteria are met. These include:

  • Neither tenant owes rent
  • Neither tenant is moving to a home that the landlord thinks is too big or small for their circumstances [2]
  • Both tenants are secure tenants (council tenants) or assured tenants (housing association)
  • Neither tenant is in the process of being evicted

A mutual exchange may involve more than two tenants. The largest reported swap in England has involved a group of 6 tenants swapping their homes between them.[3]

Precise details of the criteria used for home exchanges can be found by a tenant from a their Landlord, and some will identify free resources, such as websites, to help their tenants pair up to make a swap. (e.g.[4]).

External links[edit]


  1. ^ "Swapping your council or housing association home". DirectGov. Retrieved 20 March 2011. 
  2. ^ Landlords have rules on the appropriate number of rooms a home should have depending on the size of the family. This can vary from landlord to landlord and from area to area with the same landlord
  3. ^ "6-way swap brings Mandy closer to family". 31 August 2007. Retrieved 20 March 2011. 
  4. ^ "Homeswapper Mutual Exchange". Mid Devon Council. Retrieved 20 March 2011.