Mhe. Richard Wambura was the Regional Commissioner from 1961 to 1962. From 2003 to the end of 2005 the regional commissioner was Daniel Ole Njoolay. Following Njoolay, the acting regional commissioner of the Mwanza Region was its police chief, Liberatus Barlow. Njoolay was succeeded by Dr. James Alex Msekela, 2006 to 2009.
Mwanza region comprises seven districts; which are Ukerewe (to the north), Magu (to the east), Sengerema to the west, Misungwi and Kwimba (to the south), and Nyamagana and Ilemela. The region's capital, Mwanza, is situated partly in Nyamagana District and partly in Ilemela District.
Area & Population 
Mwanza region (in the 2002 census) had a population of 2,942,148 in all its eight districts. However, according to the latest figures; solely the metropolitan area of the region's capital, Mwanza, is home to 2,000,000 people. This implies that the region's current population has increased greatly from the figures of the last census in 2002.
Mwanza region is occupied by various tribal groups, included the Wasukuma, the Wakerewe, Wakara and Wazinza. Mwanza city's Makongoro Road is named after a prominent Sukuma chief who controlled the area in the late 1800s. Under British rule, Mwanza region was one district in the Lake Province, which became the Lake Region after independence. In 1963, Mwanza was given the status of a Region.
Wasukuma tribe is the major tribe occupying the region, the other region that is occupied by Wasukuma is Shinyanga.
- "Mwanza: Regional Leadership". Archived from the original on 7 April 2005. Unknown parameter
- Nkwame, Valentine Marc (9–15 December 2006). "Njoolay longest serving RC in Arusha: 17 RCs have served Arusha in 45 years". The Arusha Times (449).
- [dead link]
- Msekela, James Alex (29 December 2007). "Brief Remarks by Hon. Eng. Dr. James Alex Msekela (MP) Regional Commissioner for Mwanza Region to Mr. Ahmed al Marar – 11H – Chairman and Managing Director of the Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank on 29th December 2007".
- "Postcodes Mwanza Region 33000". Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA). 2012.
- "Socio-Economic Profile of Mwanza Region". The Planning Commission, Dar es Salaam, and The Regional Commissioner's Office, Mwanza. October 1997. Archived from the original on 31 May 2004. Unknown parameter
- Government site on Mwanza region
- Mwanza Women Development
- St Augustine University of Tanzania at RC.net