My Beautiful Mommy
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Michael Salzhauer. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2014.|
|Publisher||Big Tent Books|
My Beautiful Mommy is a children's book written by plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Salzhauer. It is the first book ever written for children about plastic surgery and was illustrated by Victor Guiza. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 20 libraries as of February, 2014.
The book focuses on a young girl as her mother undergoes abdominoplasty and rhinoplasty. The book is intended to help parents who have chosen to have plastic surgery explain their children the process of their surgery.
My Beautiful Mommy has been criticized for depicting cosmetic surgery and for a line that suggests that mommy's new nose will "be prettier." Child psychologist Elizabeth Berger has noted that while an explanatory book will be helpful for children, it "can be difficult for small kids to understand".
Salzhauer has responded to the criticisms by saying "The book just goes toward trying to make the process as understandable as possible for the kids, so they can feel included and don't have to make things up in their minds on what's going on" and "This book was written with the best of intentions. It wasn’t trying to corrupt society. It is not glamorizing plastic surgery. It is not intended to be a best seller that children read with their parents before they go to sleep."
- "New Children's Book On Mommy's Plastic Surgery". Huffington Post. April 24, 2008. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- ABATE, MICHELLE ANN (2010). ""Plastic Makes Perfect": My Beautiful Mommy , Cosmetic Surgery, and the Medicalization of Motherhood". Women's Studies 39 (7): 715–746. doi:10.1080/00497878.2010.505152. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- WorldCat item record
- G., Jessica (April 16, 2008). "My Beautiful Mommy Teaches Kids Why Mommy’s Face Is Suddenly "Prettier"". Jezebel. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Reist, Melinda Tankard (Jul–Aug 2008). "The pornification of girlhood". Quadrant (magazine) 52 (7-8): 13. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Alter, Cathy (Mar 26, 2011). "'My Beautiful Mommy': How a Picture Book Explains Liposuction to Kids". The Atlantic. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Springen, Karen (April 14, 2008). "Mommy 2.0". The Daily Beast. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- "Children's book takes on mom's plastic surgery". Today. Associated Press. April 23, 2008. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- Bierly, Mandi (April 18, 2008). "My beautiful, scarring-me-forever mommy?". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 20, 2011.