My Friends Told Me About You
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for films. (December 2008)|
|My Friends Told Me About You|
|Directed by||Daniel Ryan|
|Produced by||Carlos Dengler
Lara Khajetoorians Larkin
|Written by||Carlos Dengler
|Music by||Carlos Dengler|
|Edited by||Daniel Ryan
|Release date(s)||February 2008|
My Friends Told Me About You is a short film written, produced, and scored by lead actor Carlos Dengler who is the former bassist of the band Interpol. It is co-written and directed by Daniel Ryan and co-produced by Todd Eckert of award-winning Joy Division biopic, Control. The cast also includes Risa Sarachan as Belle and Fredric Stone as Stanley. The film was shot on digital video tape in and around the Chicago area during 2007 and 2008. Its narrative employs non-linear, surrealistic techniques influenced by Mulholland Drive, Buffalo 66, and The Limey. The film is included on the DVD magazine Wholphin No. 8.
My Friends Told Me About You charts the journey of a man at the beginning of a downward spiral. Paranoia, confusion, and anger start to color all that he knows to be true and as reality blurs with his subconscious fears, an alternate world propelled by violence and mistrust begins to take over. As sonic as it is visual, Dengler also composed the original score for My Friends Told Me About You in collaboration with acclaimed English clarinetist Ian Mitchell.
- Drury, Amalie. "The Radar People".CS Magazine, April, 2008.
- "Wholphin No. 8 Liner Notes". wholphindvd.com. Wholphin.
- "2007 Stereogum Article". stereogum.com. Stereogum. July 24, 2007.
- "Carlos D to Play Pot Dealer in Horror Film". pitchforkmedia.com. Pitchfork Media. July 25, 2007. Archived from the original on 2009-02-07.
- "Wholphin No. 8". wholphindvd.com. Wholphin.
- "2009 Band Weblogs Article". bandweblogs.com. March 4, 2009.
- "Wholphin No. 8 Collaborator Bios". wholphindvd.com. Wholphin.