My Name Is Jonas
|"My Name Is Jonas"|
|Song by Weezer from the album Weezer|
|Released||May 10, 1994|
|Recorded||August–September 1993 at Electric Lady Studios, NYC|
|Genre||Alternative rock, power pop|
|Writer||Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Jason Cropper|
"My Name Is Jonas" is a song by alternative rock band Weezer, written by Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson and Jason Cropper that appears on their self-titled debut 1994 album Weezer, also known as The Blue Album. It is one of the few pre-Raditude Weezer songs with any co-writing credits and the only writing credit Cropper ever received in the band, as he came up with the acoustic intro to the song.
"My Name Is Jonas" was inspired by Rivers's brother who got into a car accident at Oberlin College and was having a problem with his insurance. According to Cuomo himself "'Jonas' explains how The Plan is reaming us all, especially my brother."
In 1995 there was apparently some confusion as to what the third single off The Blue Album would be, and several stations in the US and Canada played "My Name Is Jonas" as a single in spring 1995. This actually got to the stage in Canada where radio stations were serviced with a promo single. The plug was pulled early after "Say It Ain't So" was confirmed as the third single, and the Canadian only radio promo is thus one of the most prized Weezer collectibles.
Melissa Bobbitt at About.com ranked "My Name is Jonas" as the 7th best Weezer song, stating "Its soaring announcement that "The workers are going home" serves as a righteous way to kick off a weekend". Michael Gallucci from Diffuser named it as the 3rd best Weezer song. In the book Music: What Happened, Scott Miller analyzes the song as "musicality everywhere, theatrical dynamics, little golden lyric details where the subplot reveals the whole mood". Miller also praises Ric Ocasek's production of the song.
In 2010, members of My Chemical Romance joined Weezer one night in Los Angeles for a performance of the song. Weezer's performance as a whole was part of the AXE Music: One Night Only concert series.
In other media
Affinity has covered the song on the album Rock Music: A Tribute to Weezer.
You Blew It! covered the song in the EP You Blue It. Very little alterations were made, with the reason being "To say that "My Name Is Jonas" is an imperfect song would be the biggest lie of all time".
- Rivers Cuomo – lead vocals, lead guitar, harmonica
- Patrick Wilson – drums
- Brian Bell – rhythm guitar*, backing vocals
- Matt Sharp – bass, backing vocals
* Rivers Cuomo stated that he played both lead and rhythm guitar on the Blue Album after former guitarist Jason Cropper left the band, but did say that Brian did background vocals on the album. Brian Bell says that he in fact does play rhythm guitar.
- Luerssen D., John. Rivers' Edge: The Weezer Story. ECW Press, 2004, ISBN 1-55022-619-3 p. 61
- Luerssen D., John, 2004 p. 110–111
- "Blue Album era releases (1992-1995)". Weezer.com. Archived from the original on 2010-08-13. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- "Top 13 Weezer Songs". About.com. The New York Times Company. June 11, 2014. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Michael Gallucci (2013-01-20). "10 Best Weezer Songs". Diffuser. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- "Music: What Happened? - Scott Miller - Google Books". 125 Records. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "My Chemical Romance Join Weezer Onstage!". Spin.com. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- Holden, Tom (October 2007). "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock: Rock Your Way to the Top". Independent PlayStation Magazine (128): 26.
- "Thermals Cover Weezer". Stereogum. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "You Blew It! – “My Name Is Jonas” (Weezer Cover)". Stereogum. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2014-08-15.