My Name Is Not Angelica
|ISBN||ISBN 0395510619, 9780395510612|
The book tells the story of slavery in the Danish West Indies through the eyes of Raisha, renamed "Angelica" by her new masters. Betrayed by a rival tribe and shipped to the Caribbean, Raisha, her betrothed Konje and her friend Dondo are bought by Dutch family Jost Van Prok. Conditions on the island for the slaves were harsh. They suffered starvation, dehydration, forced labor and cruel punishments. In 1733 a portion of the slaves to run away to Mary Island where they planned their widescale revolt, which lasted until mid-1734.
This was the last novel written by Scott O’Dell, an award-winning writer of children’s historical fiction. It was published posthumously after his death at age 91 in 1989.
- "My Name Is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell". Goodreads. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- O'Dell, Scott (1989). My name is not Angelica. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. p. 130. ISBN 9780395510612.
- Calhoune, Sandra. "My Name Is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell Detailed Book Review". AllReaders.com. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- McDOWEL, EDWIN (October 17, 1989). "Scott O'Dell, a Children's Author Of Historical Fiction, Dies at 91". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Book Review: My Name is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell". Book Trends: Young Adult and Children Book Reviews:. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "MY NAME IS NOT ANGELICA by Scott O'Dell". Kirkus Reviews. 1989-09-15. Retrieved 2013-02-10.