My Name Is Not Angelica
|My Name Is Not Angelica|
|ISBN||ISBN 0395510619, 9780395510612|
My Name is Not Angelica is a 1989 young adult novel by Scott O’Dell. This historical fiction takes place during the 1733 slave insurrection on St. John Island. The book tells the story of slavery in the Danish West Indies through the eyes of Raisha, renamed "Angelica" by her masters. Betrayed by a rival tribe, and shipped to the Caribbean along with her betrothed Konje and her friend Dondo they are bought by Dutch family Jost Van Prok. Conditions on the island for the slaves were poor. The slaves suffered inhumane conditions, which included starvation, dehydration, and cruel punishments. The conditions led to a portion of the slaves to run away to Mary Island where they planned their revolt.
This was the last novel written by Scott O’Dell, an award winning writer of children’s historical fiction, and was published shortly after his death at age 91 in 1989.
- "My Name Is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell". Goodreads. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- O'Dell, Scott (1989). My name is not Angelica. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. p. 130. ISBN 9780395510612.
- Calhoune, Sandra. "My Name Is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell Detailed Book Review". AllReaders.com. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- McDOWEL, EDWIN (October 17, 1989). "Scott O'Dell, a Children's Author Of Historical Fiction, Dies at 91". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Book Review: My Name is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell". Book Trends: Young Adult and Children Book Reviews:. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "MY NAME IS NOT ANGELICA by Scott O'Dell". Kirkus Reviews. 1989-09-15. Retrieved 2013-02-10.