Father Mychal Judge (ship)
The Father Mychal Judge is a fast catamaran ferry, like this similar vessel from NY Waterway.
|Name:||Father Mychal Judge|
|Builder:||Allen Marine , Inc., Sitka, Alaska|
|Christened:||February 20, 2002|
|In service:||March 2002|
|Status:||in active service, as of 2012[update]|
|General characteristics |
|Length:||65 ft (20 m)|
|Beam:||29 ft (8.8 m)|
|Draft:||3 ft 6 in (1.07 m)|
|Propulsion:||4 × 425 hp (317 kW) 6125 Lugger diesel engines
4 × Hamilton 321 water jets
|Speed:||30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)|
The vessel was christened in March 2002. The ferry participated in the rescue of passengers of US Airways Flight 1549 that remarkably successfully safely landed on the Hudson River on 15 January 2009. On April 6, 2012, her captain, Mohamed Gouda, led his crew in a second rescue of the crew of capsized barge Katherine G..
- Tom Turner (2006). "FATHER MYCHAL JUDGE - NY WATERWAY in New York, USA. 2006". Flickr. Retrieved 2012-04-10. mirror
- McQuillan, Alice (February 21, 2002). "Ferry Named For FDNY Priest". New York Daily News. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Father Mychal Judge - Vessel's Details and Current Position". marinetraffic.com. 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Boat Specs". allenmarine.com. 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Antonio Antenucci, Rebecca Harshbarger (2012-04-07). "Barge tips over in New York Harbor near the Statue of Liberty, injuring two crew members". New York Post. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
His crew lowered a Jacob’s ladder — a device specifically designed to pull people out of the water — and brought five people aboard his ferry, the Mychal Judge, which is named after a pastor who was killed at the Twin Towers on 9/11.mirror
- Michael Ford (August 2002). Father Mychal Judge: An Authentic American Hero. Paulist Press. p. 199. ISBN 9780809105526. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
A New York Waterway ferry was christened Father Mychal Judge.
- "Tugboat Capsizes Near Liberty Island; 3 People Rescued". CBS News. 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2012-04-09. mirror
- "Three people rescued after barge capsizes". ABC News. 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
Authorities say the Katherine G was in place at the end of the pier, that workers were in the process of loading a construction crane onto the spud barge, which is a unique barge that features 3 deck pilings.mirror