|No. 9 – Austin Toros|
January 12, 1992 |
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Findlay Prep
|NBA draft||2013 / Undrafted|
|Pro playing career||2013–present|
|Career highlights and awards|
Myck Kabongo (born January 12, 1992) is a Canadian professional basketball player. He played two seasons at the University of Texas Longhorns men's basketball team before going undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft.
High school career
Kabongo started his high school career at Eastern Commerce Collegiate Institute in Toronto, Ontario. He then played alongside fellow Canadian Tristan Thompson for a season-and-a-half at St. Benedict's Prep before Thompson was removed from the team and transferred to Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada. Kabongo stayed at St. Benedict's through his junior season before he transferred to Findlay Prep. Kabongo was the #10 player in the class of 2011 by Scout.com and in the ESPNU 100. Rivals.com rated as the #26 player. He was selected to play in the 2011 McDonald's All-American Game and the 2011 Jordan Brand Classic.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Toronto, Ontario||Findlay Prep||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||170 lb (77 kg)||Nov 4, 2010|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 97|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 10; 2 (PG) Rivals: 26; 5 (PG) ESPN: 10; 2 (PG)|
Kabongo started playing for Texas in the 2011–12 season. Kabongo was under investigation for alleged inappropriate contact with Rich Paul, an agent who also handles the contracts of former Findlay Prep and current NBA players Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph. Initially banned for the entire 2012-13 season, his suspension was later reduced to 23 games, and he made his debut in mid-February and would go onto average 14.6 points per game in eleven games.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NBA draft, he joined the Miami Heat for the 2013 NBA Summer League. On September 30, 2013, he signed with the San Antonio Spurs. However, he was waived on October 15. On October 31, 2013, he was acquired by the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League.
Awards and honors
- 2011 McDonald's All-American team selection
- 2011 Jordan Brand High School All-American team selection
- 2012 Big 12 All-Rookie team selection
- Luicci, Tom (February 11, 2009). "Texas recruit Tristan Thompson kicked off St. Benedict's boys basketball team". NJ.com. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- Kabongo, Myck (May 7, 2010). "Myck Kabongo: Headed to Findlay Prep". ESPN Rise. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Scout.com Basketball Rankings - 2011". Scout.com. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "ESPNU 100 Rankings - 2011". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Rivals.com Basketball Rankings - 2011". Rivals.com. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Findlay Prep’s Myck Kabongo the latest Canadian to go from Henderson to McDonald’s All-American". Las Vegas Sun. March 8, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "2011 Jordan Brand Classic: West Team". Jordan Brand Classic. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Myck Kabongo is a Longhorn". Scout.com. January 12, 2009. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Texas loses its No. 1 prospect". ESPN.com. October 30, 2010. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Myck Kabongo back with Texas". ESPN.com. November 4, 2010. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "NCAA probing Myck Kabongo". October 11, 2012. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- Spurs Announce Training Camp Roster
- Spurs Waive Cousin, Kabongo and Maggette
- Austin Toros Announce Trainig Camp Invitees
- Kabongo and Scrubb cut from Team Canada