|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2011)|
|Founded||Mydin Mohamed, Penang (1940)|
|Products||Discount stores, grocery stores, and hypermarkets|
|Owner(s)||Mydin Mohamed Holdings Berhad|
Mydin is a Malaysian chain of hypermarket, supermarket & emporiums. It is notable for bringing local & overseas products at affordable prices catering to a large segment of Malaysian population.
Mydin was founded in 1918 by Mr Gulam Husen Jamal, father to Mr Mydin. Their shop in Penang was burnt down to the ground during the World War II and they lost everything. But strong determination, perseverance and faith has made one of his children, namely Mr Mydin Mohamed, to continue the trades of wholesaling.
In 1957, he opened his first shop which was a small wooden shop named Syarikat Mydin Mohamed in Jalan Tok Hakim, Kota Bharu, Kelantan by selling toys & also general merchandise with his own hard-earned money.
With the help of his immediate sons, the business spreads its operations to Kuala Terengganu in 1979 and later made their presences in Klang Valley at Jalan Masjid India in 1989. From then on MYDIN has grown steadily at a commendable pace. With its vision to be the world’s leading distributor of competitive Halal goods & services in Malaysia, it is now known as MYDIN MOHAMED HOLDINGS BHD.
In 2012, Mydin, along with other major hypermarkets such as Tesco and Carrefour participated in the Tukar programme under the Economic Transformation Programme. The programme is aimed to transform 100 selected sundry shops into modern mini marts. The company is responsible for training the shops and providing assistance after transforming as mini marts along with Tesco.
As of May 2012, there are 94 outlets nationwide which include seven hypermarkets, 18 emporiums, three bazaars, 52 mini-marts that operate as MyMydin, nine convenience stores that operate as MyMart and six franchise outlets operating as Mydin Mart.
In July 2013, Mydin's ventured into the high-end retailing with the opening of the first SAM's Groceria outlet at the Gurney Paragon in Penang. SAM affectionately stands for Saya Anak Malaysia (I am Malaysian).
Board of directors
- Mydin Mohammed (Founder)
- Murad Ali (Executive Director)
- Dato' Haji Ameer Ali (Managing Director)
- Ahimmat Ali (Executive Director)
- Salim Ali (Executive Director)
- Datin Dr. Hajah Siti Hawa (Human Resources Director)
- Puan Mumtaz (Director)
- Puan Nadiya (Director)
- Malik Murad Ali (IT Director)
- Mirza Murad Ali (Merchandising Director)
Range of products
- Grocery – Food and Health & Beauty
- Fresh – Ready-to-Eat and Fresh Produce (Meat & Poultry; Seafood, Fruits & Vege; and Chilled & Frozen)
- Hardline – Do-It-Yourself, Household, Electrical, Stationery, General Merchandise, Gifts & Deco and Sports, Toys & Games
- Softline – Apparel, Home Furnishing and Muslimin
WHY PAY MORE, BUY AT WHOLESALE PRICES!
- "Tukar programme: Anyone can do it (by Hariati Azizan)". The Star Online. 2012-05-20. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- The Star Online. 2013-07-29 [http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2013/07/29/Natural-progression-for-hypermart-Mydins-SAMs-Groceria-all-ready-to-capture-highend-segment.aspx=Tukar programme: Mydin's SAM's Groceria all ready to capture high-end segment (by NEVASH NAIR) http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2013/07/29/Natural-progression-for-hypermart-Mydins-SAMs-Groceria-all-ready-to-capture-highend-segment.aspx=Tukar programme: Mydin's SAM's Groceria all ready to capture high-end segment (by NEVASH NAIR)]
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 2013-07-29.
|This Malaysian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|