|Born||Mykel A.G. "Hawke" Pierce
November 29, 1965
Fort Knox, Kentucky, U.S.
Director of International Operations
|Spouse(s)||Ruth England (2005–present)|
Mykel Hawke (born November 29, 1965) is a retired U.S. Army Special Forces officer, best known for his role in the Discovery Channel series Man, Woman, Wild, where he co-starred with his wife, Ruth England, a British television presenter and actress. He is currently working for the Travel Channel on a new series entitled Lost Survivors. He is also the author of several books, most recently Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual.
Mykel Hawke currently resides in New Orleans, Louisiana, has two sons and two grandchildren from a previous marriage of 12 years; he has one son, born in London, England, from his marriage to Ruth England of 10 years.
Early life and career
Mykel Hawke was born in Fort Knox, Kentucky on November 29, 1965; as an "Army brat," he grew up primarily in the southeast, moving frequently. He married Ruth England in 2005 and they currently reside in New Orleans, Louisiana, with their son.
He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from New York University and a Master of Science degree in psychology from the University of California, Santa Barbara. A combat veteran, Hawke served as an enlisted soldier and later as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Special Forces ("Green Berets"), attaining the rank of captain. He fought rebels and trained UN peacekeepers in war-torn Africa and did combat search and rescue missions during the drug war in Colombia. He has been awarded black belts in Aikido and Judo.
His first television job was on season seven of MTV's Road Rules, 1998, where he first played the good guy who trained the kids to recover their kidnapped chihuahua and then later played the bad guy on Snake Island, taking the cast down one-by-one. He was also one of four survival experts featured in the Discovery Channel's short-lived series, Science of Survival. In episode 2, "Escape from the Amazon", Mykel spends three days in the Amazon, reducing his survival gear each successive day. Later, he continued in the showbiz industry with various jobs such as a security and medic for shows like Kourtney and Khloé Take Miami and Fox Reality Channel's Paradise Hotel 2, which he also appeared in.
November 29, 1965 |
Fort Knox, Kentucky
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1982–2011|
|Awards||Special Forces Tab
Combat Infantry Badge
US Army Master Parachutist Badge
|Other work||Actor, Instructor, Public Speaker|
Mykel joined the US Army in 1982. He served on active duty for a total of 12 years; he also served in the Reserves and Guard for another 12 years. He was a Sergeant First Class (E-7) before he took a commission as an Officer, 18A. He held three Enlisted, Special Forces Military Occupational Skills (MOS):
- Special Forces Medic, 18D
- Special Forces Communicator, 18E
- Special Forces Intelligence Operations, 18F
Man, Woman, Wild (2010-2012)
One Man Army (2011-2012)
Hawke also hosted the Discovery Channel show, One Man Army, in which personnel from backgrounds such as special operations, military, law enforcement, and extreme sports, competed in three areas of speed, strength, and intelligence to win prize money.
Elite Tactical Unit (2013)
Lost Survivors (current)
The Travel Channel is now airing a new series entitled Lost Survivors in which Mykel and wife, Ruth England Hawke, find themselves in remote areas around the world with minimal supplies and few clues as to their actual whereabouts. The couple must then rely on instinct, expertise, and the strength of each other to effect rescue.
Mykel and Ruth appeared as guest judges on Bravo's Top Chef Masters where they judged dishes created using insects as the primary ingredient. Hawke also appeared as a judge on Food Network's second season premiere of Extreme Chef.
Mykel appeared as a survivalist instructor in season 5 episode 7 of The Simple Life, 2007.
Hawke appeared in the UK Channel 4 series Tool Academy episode 5, 2011.
Hawke also was a survival director in Bizarre Foods Survival Special.
Hawke left TOPS Knives in 2012, who produced the popular Hawke Hellion and Elite signature knives, and started the Hawke Brand of survival knives and products in 2013. His new "Hawke Brand," created in 2014, will expand to Lady Hawke, Baby Hawke; Hawke Family and Hawke-approved products.
Hawke made his first film appearance in the live-action film Dirty Sanchez: The Movie. The film centers around the Dirty Sanchez TV series, in which the crew performs dangerous stunts in connection to the 7 Deadly Sins. For the sin Gluttony, the Dirty Sanchez crew spend four days in the Mexican desert without food and drink. Hawke serves as their mentor during this time, forcing them to carry out various survival techniques, such as killing and cooking live animals and drinking their own urine.
Hawke is a proud supporter of The Green Beret Foundation and The Silent Heroes Organization. In 2014, Hawke established Community Sentinels, a charity to help Vets integrate with community through preparedness.
- Hawke's Special Forces Survival Handbook: The Portable Guide to Getting Out Alive Running Press (April 26, 2011) ISBN 978-0-7624-4064-1
- Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual Running Press (June 9, 2009) ISBN 978-0-7624-3358-2
- The Quick and Dirty Guide to Learning Languages Fast Paladin Press (September 1, 2000) ISBN 978-1-58160-096-4 (Authored under pen-name A.G. Hawke)
- In the Dark of the Sun Pixel Dragon Designs (August 24, 2010) ISBN 978-0-9829316-0-8 (Thriller co-authored with Kim Martin)
|Mykel Hawke's Awards, Decorations, and Badges|
- "About Mykel Hawke : Man, Woman, Wild : Discovery Channel". Discovery Channel. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "Discovery Channel:: I Shouldn't Be Alive: Science of Survival". Discovery Channel. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Man, Woman, Wild press material, Discovery.com
- Survival shows are now the fittingest on television, Gary Strauss, USA Today, August 27, 2010 (Retrieved August 28, 2010)
- "One Man Army : Discovery Channel". Discovery Channel. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- ""Elite Tactical Unit: S.W.A.T." The series launched on The Outdoor Channel in 2013". Outdoor Channel. PR Newswire. August 28, 2012.
- Lost Survivors
- "Man, Woman, Wild". Man, Woman, Wild. Discovery.com. Retrieved 1 October 2011.