|Native name||Михайло Миколайовича Куцин|
|Birth name||Mykhailo Mykolayovych Kutsyn|
15 August 1957 |
Svoboda, Berehove Raion,
Zakarpattia Oblast, Ukraine
|Allegiance|| Soviet Union (1978–1992)
|Service/branch|| Soviet Army
Ukrainian Ground Forces
|Commands held||Western Operational Command
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Mykhailo Mykolayovych Kutsyn (born 15 August 1957) is a former Chief of the General Staff and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. He was appointed Chief of the General Staff by acting president Oleksandr Turchynov on 28 February 2014. Kutsyn was dismissed of this post by president Petro Poroshenko on 3 July 2014. Poroshenko thanked Kutsyn and stated he became shell-shocked on 2 July 2014 while combating the 2014 insurgency in Donbass; had a concussion and was staying at a hospital.
A graduate of tank school, Kutsyn served with the Soviet Army in Kharkiv, Belarus and Germany. He enlisted in the Ukrainian Ground Forces after the nation gained independence in 1991, and was head of the Western Operational Command for six years, before being appointed Deputy Minister of Defence in March 2010.
Awards and decorations
|Order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky 2nd class (2008)|
|Order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky 3rd class (2005)|
|Medal For Military Service to Ukraine (1997)|
|Medal for Battle Merit (Soviet award)|
- "Mykhailo Kutsyn appointed commander-in-chief of Ukrainian army". KyivPost. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Ukraine Finds Its Forces Are Ill Equipped to Take Crimea Back From Russia". New York Times. 1 March 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Михайло Куцин призначений начальником Генштабу". newsradio.com.ua. 1 March 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014. (Ukrainian)
- Ukraine's new defence minister promises Crimea victory, BBC News (3 July 2014)
President appoints Muzhenko as commander-in-chief of Armed Forces, Ukrinform (3 July 2014)
- "Главнокомандующим Вооруженных сил Украины стал генерал-"танкист" Куцин". ru.tsn.ua. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014. (Ukrainian)
- Poroshenko: Former Ukrainian General Staff chief shell-shocked in southeastern combat zone, Interfax-Ukraine (3 July 2014)
- "УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАИНЫ № 745/2008". Official Website of the Acting President of Ukraine. Retrieved 7 March 2014. (Ukrainian)
- "УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАЇНИ № 1185/2005". Official Website of the Acting President of Ukraine. Retrieved 7 March 2014. (Ukrainian)
- "Президент України; Указ від 30.09.1997 № 1081/97". Official Website of the Ukrainian Parliament. Retrieved 7 March 2014. (Ukrainian)
- Profile at the Official Website of the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence (Ukrainian)
|Commander of the Western Operation Command
2004 - 2010
|Chief of the General Staff
|This biographical article related to the military of Ukraine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|