Mykolas Romeris University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Mykolas Romeris University|
|Mykolo Romerio universitetas|
|Rector||Prof. dr. Alvydas Pumputis|
|Former names||The Law University of Lithuania|
Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuanian: Mykolo Romerio universitetas or MRU) is a university in the capital city of Vilnius, Lithuania, bearing the name of the Lithuanian legal scholar, judge and father of Lithuania's Constitutional Law Mykolas Römeris. Established in 2004, it is a state-funded institution.
- October 28, 2004, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania approved a resolution (No. IX-2515) "Changing the Name of the Law University of Lithuania and Approval of the Statute of Mykolas Romeris University.
- December 16th, 2004, the Senate of Mykolas Romeris University unanimously approved Professor Alvydas Pumputis as Rector (Resolution No. 1SN-9).
- July 23rd, 2009, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania by Resolution No. XI-411 approved the new Statute of Mykolas Romeris University.
- According to the July 23rd, 2009 Resolution Nr. XI-411 of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, which approved the Statute of Mykolas Romeris University and the Resolution of Mykolas Romeris University's Senate of October 6th, 2009, (No. 1SN-10), the state higher education and studies budgetary institution Mykolas Romeris University was reorganized into the state higher education public institution Mykolas Romeris University.
The university consists of 6 faculties and about 40 departments. It offers more than 70 programmes at the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral levels. Studies are carried out in compliance to the major principles of Bologna process. The major fields of study are Law, Public Administration, Economics, Finance Management, Psychology, Social Work, Social Policy, Sociology, and Education.
- Faculty of Economics and Finance Management
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Politics and Management
- Faculty of Social policy
- Faculty of Public security
- Faculty of Social informatics
- Institute of Humanities
June 24th-26th, 2010, Mykolas Romeris University hosted several hundred University Rectors, Presidents and Chancellors at the International Association of Universities (IAU) annual conference, "Ethics and Values in Higher Education in the Era of Globalization: What Role for the Disciplines?". The conference was held on the campus of Mykolas Romeris University. It was organized by the IAU in conjunction with Mykolas Romeris University.
On September 16, 2003, the University joined the ranks of signatories of Magna Charta Universitatum .
Mykolas Romeris University cooperates with over 200 international institutions including universities, public and management institutions. The University enjoys full membership of the International Association of Universities (IAU), the European University Association (EUA), the European Law Faculties Association (ELFA), European Association for International Education (EAIE), Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development programme on Institutional Management in Higher Education (OECD IMHE) and other international and European institutions.
University and Society
Specially designed courses in the Young Financier’s Academy in the Faculty of Economics and the Young Lawyer's Academy in the Law Faculty are especially popular among secondary school pupils.
The Legal Aid Center and Crime Victim Care Association of Lithuania, which provides support to crime victims, have earned the trust of the public and gained the attention of politicians during the duration of their functioning - more than a decade.
University staff and PhD students counsel Lithuanian citizens on legal and social issues at the Vilnius Legal Aid Center and at outreach centers throughout the country. Each month the team reaches out to the remote districts of the country. The beneficiaries of this program now total 40,000. The university also sponsors a Crime Victim Care Association.
Mykolas Romeris University is the founder of the following institutes:
- Institute of Forensic Medicine
- Lithuanian Institute of Public Administration
- "FACTS AND FIGURES". Mykolas Romeris University. Retrieved 2013-07-05.