Mykolas Romeris University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Mykolas Romeris University|
|Mykolo Romerio universitetas|
|Rector||Prof. dr. Alvydas Pumputis|
|Former names||The Law University of Lithuania|
|Colours||yellow, orange, red|
Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuanian: Mykolo Romerio universitetas or MRU) is a university in the capital city of Vilnius, Lithuania, bearing the name of the Lithuanian legal scholar, judge and father of Lithuania's Constitutional Law Mykolas Römeris. Established in 2004, it is a state-funded institution.
Mykolas Romeris University is one of the largest universities in Lithuania, currently having 17,500 students.
- 1 History
- 2 Structure
- 3 Studies
- 4 Research
- 5 International relations
- 6 Student life
- 7 Sports
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- October 28, 2004, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania approved a resolution (No. IX-2515) "Changing the Name of the Law University of Lithuania and Approval of the Statute of Mykolas Romeris University.
- December 16, 2004, the Senate of Mykolas Romeris University unanimously approved Professor Alvydas Pumputis as Rector (Resolution No. 1SN-9).
- July 23, 2009, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania by Resolution No. XI-411 approved the new Statute of Mykolas Romeris University.
- According to the July 23, 2009 Resolution Nr. XI-411 of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, which approved the Statute of Mykolas Romeris University and the Resolution of Mykolas Romeris University's Senate of October 6, 2009, (No. 1SN-10), the state higher education and studies budgetary institution Mykolas Romeris University was reorganized into the state higher education public institution Mykolas Romeris University.
The founder of the university is Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
The management bodies of the university are University Council,the University Senate and the University Rector.
There are 5 faculties at the university, which consists of 13 Institutes, 9 departments and Business and Media School (in partnership with Middlesex University). It offers more than 70 programmes at the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral levels. Studies are carried out in compliance to the major principles of Bologna process. The major fields of study are Business, Communication, Economics, Educology, Finance, History, Management, Informatics, Law, Management, Philology, Philosophy, Political Sciences, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Security, Social Work, and Sociology.
- Faculty of Economics and Finance Management
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Politics and Management
- Faculty of Social Technologies
- Faculty of Public security
- Academic Affairs Centre
- Research Centre
- Academic Ethics Centre
- International Relations Office
- Marketing Office
- Project Management Centre
- Servis' Sales Centre
- Property Management Office
- IT Centre
- Health and Sport Centre
- Chancellery Office
- Cultural Activities Centre
- Service for Staff Safety
- Internal Audit Office
- It is the first University in Lithuania, which offered the possibility to choose international joint study programmes leading to double or even triple diplomas. Joint programmes are offered in cooperation with Universities from UK, France, Austria, Finland, even South Korea.
- About 500 University students each year participate in international exchange (studies and internships) via Erasmus, Nordplus or other international programmes.
- At the present students taking our programmes come from over 25 countries such diverse as USA, Jamaica, Germany, Ukraine, Turkey, Azerbaijan, India, and so on.
- Study programmes offered at Mykolas Romeris University are continuously renewed and updated, responding to the need of society and providing young people with knowledge and skills necessary to build a successful career.
- A Lithuanian degree diploma is recognized in all the countries which have signed the Lisbon Recognition Convention - signed by 50 countries and international organizations. That means students can be sure that their qualifications gained in Lithuania will be valid in all these countries.
- In 2010 Mykolas Romeris University was awarded with the Diploma Supplement Label which indicates that the Diploma Supplement of MRU meets the European Commission's, the Council of Europe's and UNESCO/CEPER' created sample.
- In 2012 Mykolas Romeris University was awarded with ECTS Label. The label raises the profile of the institution a transparent and reliable partner in European and international cooperation (awarded only 64 institutions in Europe, only 2 in Lithuania). It is one of the most important signs attesting to a high quality of studies at the University.
- Course of Sociocultural Integration to the European Union and General English for Foreigners (duration 3 months, course fee 650 EUR)
- English Language Course for Foreigners (duration 9 months, course fee 1600 EUR)
- Communication and Creative Industries
- Business Informatics (dual degree programme validated by Middlesex University,UK)
- Informatics and Digital Contents (joint study programme with Dongseo University, South Korea)
- Financial Economics (dual degree programme validated by Middlesex University, UK)
- Social Work
- Business Informatics (joint study programme with Fernando Pessoa University, Portugal)
- Communication and Creative Technologies/Communication and Creative Industries (dual degree programme validated by Middlesex University, UK)
- Financial Markets (dual degree programme validated by Middlesex University, UK)
- International Law
- European and International Business Law (joint study programme with University of Savoie, France)
- European Union Law and Governance (double degree with Montesquieu University – Bordeaux IV, France)
- Social Technology Management (joint study programme with Fernando Pessoa University, Portugal)
- Electronic Business Management (dual degree programme validated by Middlesex University, UK)
- Work and Organizational Psychology (joint study programme with Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia)
- Public Administration
- Social Work
- Comparative Social Policy and Welfare (joint degree with University of Tampere, Finland and Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria)
- Welfare Sociology
- Law, Science and Technology - LAST-JD - (programme implemented in cooperation with University of Bologna, Italy, University of Turin, Italy, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Tilburg University, The Netherlands)
Mykolas Romeris University engages in fundamental and applied research, takes part in national, regional and international research programmes and projects, and practically applies research results and disseminates them to the public. The research results, carried out in the University’s faculties, departments, in laboratories, institutes, and centres, make up the basis of integration between research and studies. Traditionally the University has engaged in research in the area of social sciences and more recently, has initiated research in biomedicine, technology and the humanities.
International cooperation at MRU is oriented to strengthen internationalization in studies and research. In partnership with other institutions, joint study programmes are created. Students, academics and administrative personnel participate in exchange programmes, international conferences and other events. The University’s international ties span all the regions of the globe. It has affiliations with more than 400 foreign academic and state institutions. From 2006, the University offers joint Master’s degree study programmes and encourages its students to attain double or triple diplomas. One of the goals of University’s internationalization is student diversification, thus the number of international students is continually growing. This enables both Lithuanian and international students to share experiences and ideas as well as to work together on joint international projects, expanding their world views and cultural awareness.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)|
Mykolas Romeris University is a perfect place to train or work out. Students are encouraged to engage in an active lifestyle on campus through organized activities and individual health promotion. New athletic halls for gymnastics, games and table tennis have been set up.
- MRU was a partner of EUROBASKET 2011 - top 8 teams held their training sessions and prepared for the play-off at the University’s sports hall.
- Mykolas Romeris University has been cultivating the Olympic spirit for a long time, and as a proof of that on December 1st, 2010, the Lithuanian National Olympic Committee (LNOC) awarded the Rector of Mykolas Romeris University, Prof. Dr. Alvydas Pumputis, with LNOC's Honorary Medal for the University’s contribution to sports. Artūras Poviliūnas, the President of Lithuanian National Olympic Committee, said that athletes at this University have the best study conditions, which highly contribute to their possibilities for reaching Olympic heights.
We are very proud of University’s athletes and coaches, who year by year have been showing best results in a wide variety of sports competitions.
- 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London: MRU alumni Laura Asadauskaitė-Zadneprovskienė won a gold medal in pentathlon, MRU student Jevgenij Šuklin won a silver medal in the Men's Canoe Single's Finals 200 m event.
- 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing: MRU students Edvinas Krungolcas won a silver medal in pentathlon and Andrejus Zadneprovskis won a bronze medal in pentathlon.
- 2004 Summet Olympic Games in Athena: MRU student Andrejus Zadneprovskis won a silver medal in pentathlon.
Medalists of World Championships
- 2009: MRU student Giedrius Titenis won a bronze medal in World Swimming Championship in; MRU student Laura Asadauskaitė-Zadneprovskienė won a silver medal in World Modern Pentathlon Championship in London; MRU student Mindaugas Griškonis won a gold medal European Rowing Championship in Brest.